Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Maxforce7 fuel dilution
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lakepirate48

1 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  10:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit lakepirate48's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone else having issues with oil dilution from fuel on their MF7? I am having a lot of low oil pressure warning lights on my 2013 7's. My dealer says pretty much I'm the only one. Right.... I have upwards of 8.5% fuel in oil. I use 10-30 sythetic blend which is recommend for my area and temp ranges. They want me to change oil every 175 hours or 5k miles. That's crazy. Cure the problem! In cylinder dosing bad..

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  08:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have the same problem. just search this sight. you will find plenty of topics same as yours.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  10:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would just go with 3000 mile oil changes or do them at 1 inch above the full mark on the stick. Dont bother with synthetic in this situation.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  04:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much is known about it. Colossal IH bad design. There are several Iknow bulletins out and several things IH has done to attempt to correct but the big issue is their in-cylinder dosing and the restrictions that can happen with their DOC/DPF. Keep the DOC from surface plugging and the DPF clean and it will help you. Also, sometimes there are sensors that can glitch and cause too many regens. Our experience is with the MaxxForce DT and not the 7. You can do a search and read my various rants. But IH has not fixed a thing in their design for us on the older ones and we constantly have at least one of our MaxxForce DT's be 2, 3, 4, 5 inches over on the stick. We have gotten tired of sending them back. I had a dealer say they would fix one last school year (off of warranty) and they had it over a month and a half working with tech central and didn't change a thing (at least they tried again). BTW, you are actually pretty good at 8% fuel in oil. IH won't even address until 10%. We hit 20% easy when a bus overfills but no engine damage yet. If you want to test my theory, buy a brand new DOC and a brand new DPF and bolt it on and it will be perfect for a couple years. Also, find yourself a vendor to clean your DPF's with the recommended FSX machine and get the numbers well down into the green range and it will help. Several of my units with like 200,000 miles have had to have their DPF's cleaned twice and last week one wouldn't come into the green range and had to be replaced. I have been saying it is their in-cyl dosing design all along and now that we have many 2010 and up MaxxForce DT's that have downstream dosers, guess what.....zero of them have had any problems!!! The IH reps need to learn to listen when I talk instead of the "you're the only one with this problem" which actually means being translated "I have no idea what I am talking about" at best or "I am going to use my typical bull**** line on this guy and try to keep him off my back since we have no idea what to do about this." Good Luck.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  5:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knowing this is going to happen, you might consider a 5w40 or a 15W40. We went through a DOC face clean and re-flash campaign that helped us. It's still not great, but it's better. What part of the country are you in?
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  5:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep pressing your IC dealer for extended warranties at no charge. They will do this for you if you keep hounding them about it. Several districts in my area had this exact same issue and their only answer is to give them extended warranties at no charge. Its only a matter of time before you start losing engines unless you want to change your oil every 2,000 miles.
Go to Top of Page

darpen5

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2016 :  04:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had 2 max-force 7 we have had to replace the motors because of long extended oil change {before 100k miles} so the key I think is oil change, and cleaning the DPF every year and looking a the DOC to make sure it is not face plugged. and the reason I say " I think is because just within the last few months have got the buses back on the road

Darrell R Holland
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2016 :  10:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have ten MF 7 with 100,00 miles, They get oil changes at 4000 miles and the only thing i have had was a turbocharger explode. like was said change the oil at 3 to 4000 and use 15w40.
Go to Top of Page

darpen5

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2016 :  04:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is a good oil to use (Brand)

Darrell R Holland
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2016 :  10:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy! that will start a debate, But myself i use Mobil delvac 15w40.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2016 :  11:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No kidding drp,

We us Moblie Fleet 15/40.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2016 :  12:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use 5W-40 SynGard.........of course;
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38378

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000