school bus sign
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

genescammell

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  1:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does any one know if a school bus stop sign can be added to a privately operated 25 passenger shuttle bus I have been going through all the txdot rules and I cant find a reference on this issue
thanks

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  1:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't believe that would be legal in CO. My guess would be that you would have to be a legitimate school bus in order to have one. Definitely wouldn't chance it until you get a solid answer. Let us know if you get an answer.
Go to Top of Page

genescammell

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  08:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after much research with dmv here in san Antonio me and the dmv lady came to the same conclusion in texas there are no regulations that we could find that said a bus style stop sign cannot be added to a shuttle bus both of us spent several hours looking at regulations her response was if there is no regulation then it is not against the law
case closed I will install the signs
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  09:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can say, is from years of experience in the transportation field I want to add this; "to be continued". Good luck, but I think you are asking for trouble because you are using a traffic control devise without authorization.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  09:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
genescammell, you need to take a look at this: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/tn/htm/tn.544.htm
Read paragraph "C"
You are not a "local authority" nor have you gotten permission from the Texas DOT. It's all spelled out in that one paragraph in my opinion. Took me all of two minutes to find this. I don't have a dog in this hunt but I really hate for anyone to get in a tussle with a state agency, it never ends well.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  09:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@bwest paragraph C seems to be talking about installing traffic lights or mounting a stop sign on the highway without DOT approval. It could be interpreted in different way I guess. Just saying that's the way I read it. I could be wrong though.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  10:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Read Section 544.006. This section does not say that the signage is necessarily placed on the highway, rather in view of the highway. So my interpretation is that an unauthorized sign is being used in an attempt to control traffic. I think this is probably a bad idea and that there may be some legal consequences. Perhaps you could find a more clear understanding through federal guidelines as opposed to TX guidelines.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  10:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaronwilmoth80911

Read Section 544.006. This section does not say that the signage is necessarily placed on the highway, rather in view of the highway. So my interpretation is that an unauthorized sign is being used in an attempt to control traffic. I think this is probably a bad idea and that there may be some legal consequences. Perhaps you could find a more clear understanding through federal guidelines as opposed to TX guidelines.

I agree with what you're saying but I would add that, in this case, the feds wouldn't have anything to do with it unless the sign is used on a federal highway (i.e. interstate or u.s. highway)

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  04:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@bwest @aaron agreed, I've always known that if it isn't a public school bus it cannot have any loading lights or a stop sign. It also cannot display the words school bus on it. You see day care and private schools buses all the time and none of them have the lights or stop signs like a public school bus.
Go to Top of Page

RidgeLine

29 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  09:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit RidgeLine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You may find your answer in here.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title49-vol6/xml/CFR-2012-title49-vol6-sec571-131.xml

If the link don't work, search FMVSS 131. I believe the law or regulation you are looking for is a Federal law.
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  10:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in California, just because Title 13 does not address a paticular issue or application, does not by default make it legal. My opinion, it will not be legal.

Edited by - 40ngone on 07/28/2014 10:38:44 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000