Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2008 NCLB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  07:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have an IC bus with NCLB (no child left behind) issues.
In order for the alarm to cancel, the park brake dash light needs to be illuminated. The park brake dash light works intermitten. I've replaced the park brake switch, park brake valve and the problem remains. I've also checked the wires on the connector to the park brake switch it all looks good, no broken wires. I'm starting to think the ESC or maybe the board on the dash is acting up. Anyone encounter this before?

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  04:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a few IC's with issues, (not working at all, not shutting off, shutting themselves off, etc..) Ended up getting the ESC 'reflashed' at dealer, and problems went away. One of them still did not work after flash, and we disconnected the NCLB and installed a Bus-Scan (child reminder with manual button).
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  06:27:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's probably what I'll be doing, getting the ESC flashed. Thanks, I'll kepp y'all posted.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  05:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Had ESC reflashed and problem remains. Park brake light on the dash works about 75% of the time. If i have time I'll try swapping ESC.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  06:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just my two cents here; if you're going to shut it off and put an aftermarket system in I would recommend Homebound. I have used it for many years with little problems. It only activates when 8-ways are turned on and 5 minutes has elapsed. It also has an option to hook the horn & dome lights into the system. In my state if you have a child check system the dome lights must come on while you are doing your check.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  12:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question on these things: since we are not allowed to idle, can the driver shut down the bus and turn the key to accessory for unloading, and not have the alarm going off?
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  04:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Question on these things: since we are not allowed to idle, can the driver shut down the bus and turn the key to accessory for unloading, and not have the alarm going off?

On IC NCLB, once you have shut the engine off you have no choice but to go to the rear of the bus to cancel the alarm. Besides when you're unloading you're not idling, once you unload you go to your next pick up don't you? Idling for our district means sitting for more than 10 minutes with engine running is a no no.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  12:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We run only one am and one pm route, K-12,so no, unload and done. We have to wait until 7:45 to unload, so buses sit on school lots for a few minutes. No idling.

This is why I don't spec check systems...its idiotic to not be able to use the bus without going to the back with kids still on to deactivate the system, which would defeat its purpose.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  04:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, on our IC buses once you've activated the loading lights (during route) and switch the engine off then you have to go to the rear to cancel the alarm. When we mechanics go for a test drive we don't activate the loading lights, so when we make it back to the shop and shut the engine off we don't have to cancel the alarm because we didn't activate the loading lights. That NCLB is a pain! I'm wondering if it's required by law or an option to have that system? If it's an option I'll be sure to have my boss spec the next buses without it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000