New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  4:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was at a track meet today and the visiting schools bus started and then stalled trying to leave the lot.
I stopped to help. The bus was right in the way so we decided to push it aside so I could take a look.
The wheels were cut sharply so I cranked the engine to straighten out the wheels and during that process the bus started.
At this time the Catholic school manager called and said yeah.... that is a safety cut-out. Huh?

What could cause the stall while making a sharp turn.

Pretty cool cause my middle school son was there and all his buddies were saying "he can't fix that bus with no tools" etc.
When it fired up the visiting team gave me a standing ovation.

Nice to be a hero.... hahaha

Edited by - second.flood on 04/30/2014 4:32:57 PM

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  05:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had T444Es stall very shortly after starting because the engine oil pump was worn and did not refill HEUI reservoir fast enough, or if engine is low on oil, generally extended cranking is required before engines restarts, followed by a period of rough engine operation if these situations occur.
Other causes of stalling and restarting have been traced to camshaft position sensors, and poor connections in wiring frequently in the area behind engine oil filter.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  08:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would think of a cam sensor right away. May be just a coincidence that it happened right after it was started. Cam sensors are a pretty common issue with the 444.

If I remember correctly, there is a check valve somewhere on the front of the engine that keeps the oil from draining out of the HPOP. And when the oil drains out of the HPOP, it tends to have a terrible time trying to be started, but once it is running, it tends to run ok.

Edited by - aaronwilmoth80911 on 05/01/2014 08:34:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  12:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I probably explained this poorly, the "stall" come from the wheels being cut sharply. Straighten the wheels and the bus fires.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  2:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

I probably explained this poorly, the "stall" come from the wheels being cut sharply. Straighten the wheels and the bus fires.

You explained it well enough, in my experience with T444Es I can think of no reason for sharp wheel cut to stall the engine.
The stall came "from" the wheels being cut sharply or "when" the wheels were cut sharply is my question. I can't explain "from" so can only offer input that might explain a "when" and listed the reasons I have had that engine stall.
I also assume there was extended cranking, even before you got there, and no one checked the oil level in the engine?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 05/03/2014 06:00:05 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000