New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  09:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone seeing an increase in driver initiated "range inhibit" issues on the new buses.

I've had three calls on the two new units in service for just days.

Farmridge

51 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  10:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have on some 2012 IC and 2015 Visons, but this is because the driver isn't putting their foot on the brake when they are putting it in gear.

If you can't handle the answer, don't ask the question
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  10:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I'll look into that.
These are 5th gen. Allison 2500 pts
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  10:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
From what I was told by allison dealer, it is built in to software, like the warning light functions for filter and oil service.... My 08-09 Bluebirds do the same as new IC's..must have foot application on pedal and must be completly stopped when atempting to switch ranges R-N-D or TCM will lock in range and turn on range inhibit light...if they do the proper steps and shift to neutral again will correct itself ....
Just protection from abusive drivers, lol.... I never asked if it could be turned off?... but really not a bad function IMO.. once driver is schooled and realises what they are doing complaints stop. So, yes range inhibit issues are increased...

Edited by - slippert on 04/29/2014 11:04:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  11:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have drivers that are used to just dropping it into gear and then releasing the parking brake, there will be a learning curve.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  11:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems these gen 5's might be a bit more sensitive than my older 2500's.

I printed copy about range inhibit and gave it to the drivers.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  12:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The two drivers who had issues both previously had AT545's :)
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  1:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too would lean towards driver not pushing the brake pedal.

I'll be the first to admit that I often find the keypad (3000 trannies) just blinking at me because I didn't push the brake pedal hard enough when I have to drive.

15 years ago I was trained old-school...don't mash the brake pedal with the park brake set...time to get my brain reflashed I guess!
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  5:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
guilty here. I was always taught not to push the brake pedal with the parking brake applied (air brakes) so it has been tough to learn.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  06:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They catch me at times too! backing in and out of shop.... even though I never tell my drivers that..lol.. also with special needs busses up here you have to put a good hard application on foot brake to release parking brake. which I am pretty sure is a Fed law for transporting special needs kids.... so normal issue here is switch from drive to reverse or vise-a-versa while still rolling slightly that range inhibits mine...

On a side note air brake systems have a anti compounding feature built into them and have for decades.. so as far as applying service brake while parking brake is set...should be a non issue..
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  06:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

The two drivers who had issues both previously had AT545's :)

lol..I think that is part of the reason those 545's never held up well in busses
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000