640 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2014 :  11:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

I'm amazed that your school board would interject themselves into the bus bid process, to me that is outside the scope of their responsibility. School board members are supposed to set policy, hire and evaluate the super, oversee collective bargaining etc., NOT micromanage.

I would think if the school board has the power to say the districts buildings will be air conditioned that they could also mandate that same environment would exist for the students while they are being transported in school vehicles.
Politics as they are, sometimes you just have to let the powers that be have what they want in order to get what you want.

You got it!

A lot may be the difference in size of districts. My school board would never be involved to the extent of requesting options on school buses.
They hire good people and let us do our jobs. Maybe the little districts are different.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2014 :  12:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be the key! I do believe that board members mean well. I also believe that a small district, for the most part, is a better way to educate a child.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  05:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it comes to items perceived to effect student comfort or safety such as A/C, video camera's or seat belts, its hard to believe that any school board, no matter the size of the district, would not make their wishes known. Also no surprise that the people who maintain the buses would tend to drag their feet on items that might increase their hassle factor and work load or drive up the cost for new buses to the point that you get fewer new buses.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 04/29/2014 07:38:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  09:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
School boards should not micromanage day to day operations of a system.

Reminds me of the "what" , "how" rule.

School board members are supposed to legislate the "what" (eg. safely transport students), and the administration/staff is supposed to set the "how" (determine the methodology to safely transport the students).

20+ on one side and 12 years on the other side can give a unique perspective.

From everything I see here about Bryan, he is an exceptional employee and technician. If I was a school board member in his district I would be doing my constituents a disservice by not allowing him and his manager to run the transportation department as they see fit.

I also realize that once something is implemented, such as a nice convenience like A/C, it is tough to go back.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  09:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edwin, you'd make an excellent board member! lol Thanks for the complements!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  5:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought of you today bwest, when my must-have handicap hauler came in with alarms screaming and "SCR FAILURE" on the display.

Why do I love diesel again?
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  4:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got to look up close yesterday at a 2015 Vision propane. Im very impressed with the bus as far as performance but still on the fence otherwise. Im just not sold on the Bluebird...

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  05:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Thomasbus24, I was asking myself that question when others on here were complaining about EGRs.
C.Hardy, If I were a BB salesman I'd want to know why you are "not sold" on BB. lol Not sure I could be a salesman. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  11:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue Bird really isn't any worse than the other two. All three big players churn out half-assed junk nowadays!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  05:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Blue Bird really isn't any worse than the other two. All three big players churn out half-assed junk nowadays!

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say "half ass junk" but I agree they are not what they were a mere ten to fifteen years ago. I would speculate that they are "racing toward the bottom". Many districts that purchase buses are only keeping them 5 years so they are looking at initial price instead of longevity. So, as a result, the people who keep these things for the long haul, suffer. Of course, this is my two cents and I may be totally wrong and these are just the best buses that have ever come from a school bus factory in history. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  06:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We got three new Blue-Bird Visions this year,(not propane) and I would have to say that we were not impressed by the quality of work put into them. The last two buses we got were Visions, which was last year, and the quality of workmanship over a years time fell off quite a bit. Nothing too incredibly major, but all the little things add up real fast. Not sure I would consider them "half-ass junk", but they definitely were not whole ass quality. Rather disappointing.
Go to Top of Page

TEKbus

1 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  5:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit TEKbus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have two on order right now. Should arrive mid-July.
These are 77-passenger, with A/C. (Some of you look at A/C as an option - here in the desert it is pretty much mandatory)

The big district around here (Mesa USD) is going propane big time. You may have seen their directors smiling face in the Blue Bird literature. They really like them. I had a test drive in one about 2 years ago and was very impressed. Quiet, smooth, powerful. Then Blue Bird had one at our summer conference in Flagstaff, AZ. They took a group of us up to the the Grand Canyon in it. About forty adults, A/C on, cruising along with no problem. The elevation change is only a few hundred feet overall, but there were some sizable ups and downs along the way.

Currently, I have 5 almost ten year old IC200's with the infamous VT365. And 3 2012 IC's with Maxxforce DT's.
So far, the DT's have not had major issues. Which is an improvement over the VT's.

Given the ever increasing cost/complexity/hassle of diesel, I thought it would be worth it to take a shot at propane. Fueling plans don't include onsite fueling - that idea was shot down. So we will be contracting to have it delivered as needed, or use commercial station if necessary. Fingers crossed.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2014 :  08:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TEKbus, how many stations do you have locally?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

BLUEBIRD1965

12 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2014 :  05:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only have one thing to add, we have about 40 V10 buses, and out of those buses, only two or three have failed. IE: dropped a cylinder, this due to over rev when going down hill. No2, Broken bolts in cross member.
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

One concern might be is that there is no track record for aluminum headed full size school bus engines.
The Cummins ISB and the MaxxForce DT are approved for use in vehicles with far greater GVWs than the Ford V10 which in reality is not much more than a 5.4 liter pickup truck V8 with 2 additional cylinders.
I also can't help but note that all the propane delivery trucks around here are diesel powered, if anyone can buy propane at wholesale prices it would be those folks and yet...........??

Not the best mechanic, Just Know where to hide extra parts.
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  07:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had an opportunity to visit the assembly facility for the Roush CleanTec propane systems last week and it was a very interesting tour. It is located in Lavonia Michigan. Very good view of the quality control that they have on the system being built. Also went to see Jack Roush personal car collection of a lot of different cars that he had built and race cars. We visited the building where they modified Mustangs and Ford Raptors with the Roush package. Pretty interesting stuff.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  08:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eshover

I had an opportunity to visit the assembly facility for the Roush CleanTec propane systems last week and it was a very interesting tour. It is located in Lavonia Michigan. Very good view of the quality control that they have on the system being built. Also went to see Jack Roush personal car collection of a lot of different cars that he had built and race cars. We visited the building where they modified Mustangs and Ford Raptors with the Roush package. Pretty interesting stuff.

Wow, that would be a neat tour.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000