Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Maxxforce DT with extended or no start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman

153 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  10:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2008 IC CE300 with Maxxforce DT466 with 95k on the clock. Morning route bus starts as it should. Afternoon route bus starts as it should. I noticed problem after bus was parked for fuel after a route. I fueled it up shortly after route and it took a loooong cranking cycle to start it.

I'll check the oil level and see if it might be thinned by excess fuel this pm.

My thinking is low injector oil pressure at hot start but have no "puter" to verify. Where is this pressure tested with a gauge on this engine.

I have two new IC's on order with a summer arrival date so I guess I better bite the bullet and order a "puter" and software.

Many thanks in advance

aaronwilmoth80911

93 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  12:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had one of our 2010 MaxxForce 466 engines do that same thing. It ended up being the "pucks" for the injectors. Fortunately for us, it was still under warranty, so the dealer took care of it. Another mechanic from another district says that they do the injector pucks at 80k regardless of if it needs it right then or not.

We also have another one that has an extended crank issue and is still under warranty, but they can never find anything wrong. They have the replaced the IPR valve twice, the ICP sensor, and the high pressure oil line. The last time it was in (last week) they replaced the exhaust brake sensor claiming that it had excessive leaking, but that does not seem to have solved the problem either.

Hope this will help you some.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
838 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  2:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brad Barker's Homepage  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Follow the steps indicated either in the "Hard Start No Start" or "Performance" diagnostic charts. These charts will eliminate good components and leave you with the problem remaining. If no codes are present perform an "air management test". This may point to problems not seen previously and log a new active code.
Conditions to start include: good battery voltage at the ecm and starter, engine rpm a minimum of 130 rpm although I like to see 150, engine oil pressure, oil supply to the high pressure oil pump, ICP during cranking above 650 although spec is higher. If the egr valve is sticking open slightly hard start will occur but the engine will also have low power. The air management test often finds this problem. Fuel pressure must be to spec for the year of engine you have. It can be measured at the test port on the intake manifold on epa 2007 through current design. Info is available at On Command service portal or by logging into www.evalue.internationaldelivers,com/service

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2013 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000