Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 5.9 cumming cam shaft pulley romoval
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

loosenut

5 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  12:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit loosenut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a 1997 5.9 cummings engine the timing housing has broken and we need to know how to remove and install the cam shaft pulley. Do you have to pull the camshaft out or can you pull the pulley off to get the cover off.
Thanks.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  5:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If memory serves, and someone please correct me if wrong, the pulley is pressed on and it has to be heated up (like in an oven) to remove.

Get ready for a laugh when you see the Cummins camshaft tool kit. It looks like a bad practical joke, but it does work!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  6:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually get the replacement cover pin back in and locked down. Then I JB weld the cover if it's just a piece broke out. If the gear is good leave it be.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Farmridge

51 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  09:51:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas bus.

Your right. You can pull the pulley off with a puller but you have to heat it in an over to about 300*F to get it back on.

I assume that camshaft tool kit your are referring to has some thing to do with sticks and rubber bands?

If you can't handle the answer, don't ask the question
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  12:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure about your 97's, but the 5.9's in my 94's have a bolt on cam gear. Makes it very nice to change the cover without heating the gear or pulling the shaft.
Go to Top of Page

loosenut

5 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  06:56:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit loosenut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
going to get an oven installed in the shop this week and heat it and see what that does. Here is the link to the commings tool http://www.monacotool.com/cgi-bin/k9bytes.pl?command=showdetail&itemid=20144 They make a tool for removal and a install tool. Don't know how the install tool will work. maybe it is for when you have the cam out? I don't know..
Thanks for your help
Loose nut
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  07:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We always use a large household deep fryer and fill it with tractor hydraulic fluid heat it until the oil smokes drop your gear in (tied to a wire) heat til it smokes again be ready with welding gloves pull and stick it on. Works good for bearings as well.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  1:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never used the tool in the link. Mine was the dowel rods, rubber bands and suction cups on strings kit from Cummins. No, I'm not kidding.
Go to Top of Page

Oldiron

23 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  09:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oldiron's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Correct Thomasbus24! dowel rods and rubber bands to hold up the lifters and remove the cam and gear assy. Those cam gears are a booger to get on and off, much easier to pull it as an assembly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000