Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Dust shields
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  08:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently started with a new school dist The first day I was asked to to adjust some brakes on a bus that the driver said were not working right . Well I noticed bus had automatic slack adjusters and also noted brakes were almost wore out . Then I noticed no dust shields . First off I shouldn't need to adjust them and second they were wore out. So next week I am replacing shoes .Second I feel bus needs dust shields . Now the question. Does anybody have any part numbers of these and if not how would I order them . I know I need a rear end number .Just where can I find number . I know having the shields off to check for brake wear . Any reason not to replace them ? thanks

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  7:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some guys swear you need them, others don't. I belong to the 'throw em in the trash' crowd.

I've had a few air ride models that were darn near impossible to inspect linings because of the sheilds. I myself like to be able to easily check the entire shoe out during PM time.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  06:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't run air brakes but, that being said, don't discount your bus dealer. Most dealers have or can get any part on your buses. There are some old school (no pun intended) buses that you may have to go to Ford, Chevy, etc. but for the most part your dealer will have what you need. You might be surprised with the price too. The school bus world is quite different than the automotive world. The dealers normally don't try to stick it to you when you buy a part from them. I'm not saying there aren't some less expensive parts out there sometimes but for the most part it's not like a new car dealer part.
Just my two cents.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  07:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Some air brake systems come from OEMs with them, some without. Unless there is use in a muddy invironment or whatever there is no practical reason for them. Seems as if the brakes run cooler without the shields on them. Since most school buses don't operate in an extremely muddy or places where debris can enter the brake drum, I say they do not need them.

When I was working on over the road trucks all the time, I saw it both ways. This is a debate that has been going on for decades.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  07:22:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On our new buses they go in the trash on the 1st inspection. It is a lot easier to inspect with them off.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  10:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We removed all of ours after we found most of the lower brake shoes cracked out of sight of the inspection holes.It was a major ordeal to replace all the cracked shoes befor inspection, took almost a week and a half to do 47 buses front shoes and drums.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  12:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
50/50 here; Thomas transits came without, CE's with. Seems to work either way for us.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  5:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is old but may help some that have these left in their fleets.

http://newyorkbussales.com/pdfs/SBCV%20Front%20Brake%20Shields%2006-02%201.pdf

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000