Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 ICOM digital radio troubles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  4:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone having troubles with narrowband digital ICOM radios? We've installed 30 mobile F6120D radios, and have some locking or freezing up. It seems the base unit (with repeater) is also suffering from this.
I know this is kind of broad based, but most of the vehicles having this problem are 2000 MY IC with VT365 engines. We've had the radio dealer try to contact International, but haven't heard anything as of yet. As for the base unit, we are just documenting when this is happening.
Any answers are appreciated,
earl

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  11:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use narrow-banded Motorola CM200's and a MTR2000 in a mixed fleet of Thomas, BB, and IC with 60 IC-CEs without issue. Are you getting power from the same place you got power for the earlier radios? Maybe your installer went somewhere else for power that is causing this new problem? I'd be talking to the ICOM people; then maybe Motorola if it didn't get resolved.

"Locking or freezing up" What do you mean by that?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  8:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Vertex Standard with no problems like this.They were bought out by Motorola and the the new Motorolas are all Vertex radios. Best radios in the business but like all the things today they are beginning to make them cheaper. Only a mater of time until we start having trouble if we trade for new ones. Hope we can keep these for quite a few years.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  03:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm running Tait's and an old vertex repeater. They are ok.

Had a small handful of Icons at one time and have nothing nice to say about them. Good luck, friend.
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  05:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are running all ICOM on the narrow band and haven't had any issues. We have less issues with the ICOM than we did with Motorola our dealer is excellent he also provides our Seon camera systems any issues and he's right out, he's just a one-man show.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  05:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Locking or freezing up" What do you mean by that?
[/quote]
The power and ground is directly from the batteries, with a switched relay in line.
The locking/freezing up is when the display screen is backlit, and shows the correct channel, but no TX or RX is possible until the unit is physically shut off, and then turned back on. After this the radio may work for short periods of time, but may need to be reset several times during the day.
earl
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  10:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tb4020

We are running all ICOM on the narrow band and haven't had any issues. We have less issues with the ICOM than we did with Motorola our dealer is excellent he also provides our Seon camera systems any issues and he's right out, he's just a one-man show.

Are you using a digital signal or analog? We're using a digital signal.
Also, what state are you located. I'm in south central Wisconsin.
earl
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  10:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tb4020

If you get the right one man, those one man shows are the best way to go!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  10:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I really don't know if its digital or analog. He handled the switch and we had no issues, by the way we're in Michigan.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000