New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  11:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To my extreme surprise, when I figured out my hours Sunday night, I figured out that I made more money at my bus driving job on Saturday, then I did at my truck driving job on Sunday. I usually kind of laugh at the difference in pay, esp when I work six hours at both jobs.

Why this is so surprising to me is because my truck driving job pays 25% more per hour, and is usually a couple more hours a day longer then my sports charters. But what is really striking to me is this.

Sunday, I had to pre trip two trucks, one had a broken exhaust at the turbo, so I had to call dispatch and get another truck. After finding my trailer, and hooking up to it, I was having problems with the liftgate. This meant I had to stand around outside for half an hour in the cold(twenties)while the mechanic spray oiled everything and then explained to me that the liftgate wasn’t opening properly and how to get it to work until I got back from my run, at which time I was supposed to place it out of service.

I got backed up to the scissor dock at my first stop(which takes forever to line up to) and the produce manager came out and asked me to move my truck down to the produce door and use the liftgate on my truck to unload the produce. Having problems with the liftgate, this took a while. Did I mention it was freezing out? It took me two hours at this delivery. At my next stop the liftgate was getting even worse, but I only had to liftgate two pallets at the dairy dock. I worked 8 hours, and at nearly 60 years old, it was a brutal day.

Saturday, I spent the whole day at Portland High School for the Portland Wrestling Duals. I ate breakfast, lunch, watched wrestling, read a couple chapters of my book, took a nice long nap, watched more wrestling, ate more and watched more wrestling-and I made more money on Saturday than on Sunday.

My wife thinks that my days of being a truck driver are coming to an end. She sees what I look like when I come home from work. Plus, women are always right.

If a tree falls down in the forest and there is no man there to hear it, is he still wrong?
misterbill

Edited by - misterbill on 01/27/2014 11:09:45 AM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000