New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  1:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2001 AmTran RE, 195 HP T444E, 173,000 Miles.

Engine is leaking a significant amount oil only when engine is running. Oil appears to be coming from somewhere on the right (passenger side) of the engine. Difficult to tell for sure, but it's coming from somewhere around where the coolant filter/oil cooler is. Engine loses around a quart of oil every 15-20 minutes. Leak is definitely not the oil pan. That was checked and is fine.

Could anyone here give me an idea of where the oil might be coming from and what might be involved in repairing the problem?

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  04:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The coolant filter/oil cooler are on the left hand side of the engine.
The most common places for a T444E to have a significant oil leak are; dip stick tube adapter that's in right hand side of side of pan, large plugs on oil galley on both ends of each head, junction where oil cooler attaches to front cover(a leak here can sometimes only occur when engine is cold)

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  4:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the junction where the oil cooler attaches to front cover could be it. Oil leak started when the bus was first started after sitting for 6 days in temperatures from 4 - 15 degrees. Bus is equipped with an engine block heater, but the heater was not plugged in, so the engine was cold, cold, cold!
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  5:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that bus is only 195?? wow I thought they were at least 210s

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  05:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ C. HARDY, yep it's only 195. We started getting 210 HP on our 2002-2004 buses when A/C came along. After that the we upgraded to 215 HP with DT466/MaxxForce DT engines.

It turns out the leak was at the oil cooler. Shop replaced the oil cooler and all necessary gaskets, etc.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  12:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oil coolers can be fun to replace O-rings but I will take that job over a dip stick tube ANYDAY. Does that bus have plenty of power with a 195? Seems with a little mileage that would be awful weak.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  06:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually this bus takes off and rolls down the road very well. For an AmTran it's actually a really good bus and I want to hold onto her as long as I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000