Management/Operations
 Enter Forum: Management/Operations
 ...A Dying Industry?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Schoolbusdude

10 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2014 :  2:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Schoolbusdude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello. I have always questioned the future role of the yellow school bus in a modern world.

It cannot be denied that, despite an abundance of door-to-door services for special-needs students, school buses today have a presence in many districts drastically smaller than, say, two decades ago. In a nation whose school districts are obsessed with cutting budgets and are chronically underfunded, many districts have discontinued school bus service, finding it much more economical to give students (particularly middle and high school students) urban mass transit passes. In addition, the number of charters by preschool groups and summer day camps is also down, which makes me wonder if the yellow school bus will become a thing of the past in about a decade.

What are your thoughts?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2014 :  06:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That doesn't work in rural areas, no mass transit here. You see the problem we have in our country at this time is (well several things but I digress) we took a school system that produced people like Edison, Ford, Rockefeller, Carnegie, (and the list goes on) and turned it upside down. We are more concerned about consolidating systems into larger and larger ones and less about education. If it were 50 years ago we could reduce the number of buses because there was as school house with in walking distance of everyone's home. But that is no longer, so we are dependent on the yellow school bus for the foreseeable future.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2014 :  7:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see the yellow school bus as a dying industry.
I was recently to a meeting in our school division and it looks like they are going to set up a remote school for 40 students(described as a one room school house). With access to education on line, information is cheaper to move than a yellow bus
Go to Top of Page

Schoolbusdude

10 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  2:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Schoolbusdude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It should also be mentioned that many districts have neighborhood-based enrollment in this day and age, where districts automatically assign students to schools near one's home, eliminating the cross-town school bus routes of yesteryear.

But that just depends on what district we're talking about.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000