Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 DTA360 Valve Cover Seating issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

txstreetman

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  07:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit txstreetman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey all, is there any trick to getting the Valve Cover to seat? I can only get one side or the other to seat, and I know the fit is supposed to be tight, but this is ridiculous...

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  07:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using the correct gasket, bolts and sealing washers?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

txstreetman

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  09:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit txstreetman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes... The issue is the lip on the sides of the cover that seat it into the head are not going in on both sides. Do I need to give it some encouragement with a rubber mallet while putting it on?

-Jon

1987 Thomas International DTA360 5 Speed w/ 4 speed aux, air brakes
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  11:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recall ever having an issue, yours must be distorted some how. If its like cover is too wide, maybe try giving it a gentle squeeze in vise or a couple blocks of wood and a "C" clamp on it till you get it seated.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

txstreetman

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2014 :  07:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit txstreetman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ended up slightly bending the fingers inside the valve cover that center it on the head, and it seated decently... After that I used a hammer with a block of wood to help encourage the side that was giving me issues to seat, then tapped it on with a rubber mallet... Haven't driven it yet to see if there are any leaks...

-Jon

1987 Thomas International DTA360 5 Speed w/ 4 speed aux, air brakes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000