Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 09 vision with a cat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steveinil

20 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  06:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit steveinil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi all first time poster here i have a 09 vision with a cat in it one day last week very cold day... it died on rt got there switched buses crank but no start pumped the primmer pump was very soft the first few pumps pumped maybe 6-8 times locked it back down bus started right up.. got back changed filters seemed to run fine started fine the next day ran a few days then this morning (no school yesterday ) no start same thing no fuel pressure pumped a it a few times fired right up. but this time the primer pump leaked fuel while pumping? was thinking that could be the problem letting it leak off presure or maybe the check valve inside any thoughts ?

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  09:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How cold has it been where you are? That rear filter can be a pain check the base that the filter itself threads onto, I've noticed that some of ours are corroded really bad at the sealing surface have already replaced some. Also if it's cold there put some 911 in your tank I've had trouble between the tank and filter freezing, our buses are fueled directly off the truck and some still collect a lot of water (It's not the supplier either). Make sure you use the Bird (the blue one not red)filter on the rear or Racor equiv. that's a 10 micron the regen system feeds directly from that filter the reds are 30 micron a Napa is like 13/14 micron. The regen system specs a 10 micron or you'll plug the nozzles in the ARD head. Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

steveinil

20 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  11:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit steveinil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok thanks will give all that a check.. last week we were like -9 i think one night and 2 for the high i think the day it died it was 20 or so low tonight is 2 so we shall see lol thanks for the help though everyone stay safe and try to stay warm..
Go to Top of Page

steveinil

20 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2014 :  04:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit steveinil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just fyi same thing this morning no start checked the primer pump no presure pumped it a few times fired right up ran fine... going to cat engine is still under warranty all the lines looked good and were tight
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2014 :  8:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I assume this is a common rail C7. We could not buy a Cat engine after 2008 in Canada.
We have had problems with the O-rings between the transfer pump and the high pressure pump causing the pump to suck air. It gets worse at colder temperatures. It also causes long crank times after sitting for a couple of days.
Go to Top of Page

steveinil

20 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2014 :  04:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit steveinil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it actually fired right up this morning 4 degrees out so was happy so we will see what happens monday morning thanks for all the help...
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2014 :  10:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How's the cranking speed on that unit? We have had issues with slow cranking and we switched the starters over to an old style MT not gear reduced that solved a lot of our starting problems.
Go to Top of Page

steveinil

20 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  04:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit steveinil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hum yeah didnt think about that doesnt crank the fastest but started fine again this morning at 13 crazy weather was 61 here yesterday and i think we have had our high already today of 15 lol
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  04:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might not be cranking fast enough to build enough fuel pressure. Ours can be tempermental sometimes we have six of them and they are a handful! Our's start good in the cold as long as they're plugged in, they get to sleep in today again as school is closed because of drifted roads and maybe tomorrow and wed. if the windchill gets as low as they say.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000