Enter Forum: General Interest
 Our Crossing Arms on Our New Thomas C2's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  6:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For decades we have always had type D school buses but this year our district went back to convetionals. When bus manufacture's or dealers bid on our district this time they were allowed to bid with conventionals but with the stipulation that those buses must be equipped with crossing arms. Thomas won the contract and our c2's are equipped with crossing arms. I think they are powered by air(part of the air brake system maybe).

Now to get to my point. When I worked for First Student years ago, all our buses had crossing arms and once you closed the door the crossing arms were pretty quick to retract back to the bumper.( I think they were electrically powered). The crossing arms we have on the c2's take forever to retract. I kept track of it and was about 5 houses down from my stop before the thing fully went in. Is this a problem with any other fleets? Are these crossing arms so sluggish cause they are air powered? Our doors are awful slow too. Is there any way to fix it?

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

338 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  6:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Air gates can be slow to retract. Im not sure about the newer ones but we changed out the springs on some our older gates to help it pull tighter

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
3252 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  3:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are they still putting some stupid module under the rear of the C2 and running a tiny hose to the cross/stop arms? Those were a major restriction to the air dumping. This was a 2005,6,7 build, so hopefully they wised up since then.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2013 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000