New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  06:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it would be interesting to list some good habits of school bus maintenance. Often times if we develop good habits we prevent a lot of problems in the future, especially if you have an aging fleet like I do. Good habits are especially beneficial for a one man operation such as mine.

Here's my first one:

When changing the brake pads on hyd. brakes I open the bleeder and push the fluid out when pushing the piston back in. That away I am constantly reducing the moisture content of my brake fluid.

I welcome any and all maintenance habits. This is meant to be both fun and informative.

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  06:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in a cold weather climate. Every time a bus enters the garage, I drain all the air tanks. If anything is out of the ordinary I service the dryer etc.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  07:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another habit I have gotten into is to slide under a bus with a flashlight any time it's in the shop. You would be surprised what you will see if you just look. For example see my other post about the Chevy B7 chassis and a broken ground cable. Found that just because I was looking for anything out of the ordinary.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  08:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah... I floss daily.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  09:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

Oh yeah... I floss daily.

ROTFLOL!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2013 :  8:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
bwest I too like to push the fluid out the bleeder on the caliper. I find being a operator of a small aging fleet its extremely valuable to get your hands on them as much as possible. I personally fuel my buses on site and the hood is opened each time they come in. I have caught and taken care of little problems just from a slight wiff on coolant that was cured by tightening a clamp and also a nail head on the tread of a front steering tire. The more you can look at them the better. It was much easier to plug that tire at the shop then to get a call about a flat on the road....

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2013 :  9:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometime with your work load is high it is easy to overlook details. Watching for details and good record keeping makes a large difference.
The first line of failure defense is our drivers pre-trip and post-trip inspections. Do not overlook reports by drivers of failures. Commend them for questioning or faults found. Making light of drivers concerns does not encourage them to do regular pre-trip and post-trip inspections.

Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2013 :  5:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm new to school bus fleet maintenance, but come from the LTL fleet maintenance and I like to check lights, tires (tread and pressure), as well as look under the vehicle no matter what it's in for..
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  07:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I also find keeping up with seat repairs makes its less likely for riders to damage the bus. At least that's the way it is here. If it comes in torn we recover it and the kids seem to leave them alone. Our biggest issues is normal wear and not vandalism

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  08:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A stitch in time saves nine

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  11:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
before we step on "the floor" we have to go through like a month of pm training tend to look for tires,fluid leaks and brokeen leaf spring or shackle bolts
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000