Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 444e glow plug question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2013 :  4:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had any glow plugs that checked good through the harness and the plug itself...but the plug be burned up on the end and not heating up enough for cold weather? Have tested everything and I tested good but still starts hard.

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  05:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are you checking voltage or ohms? Ive had good resistance but not enough voltage. I like to pull the valve cover and check mine. it takes a little more time but worth it to me and you can inspect the harness as well

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  9:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haven't put the meter on them yet. Just a quick check with test light. One of the buses was starting fine before I repaired a fuel leak..the gp relay was even unhooked and would bust right off. I replaced the busted relay while it was in shop for the fuel leak and ever since it has been hard to start in the mornings. The gp's weren't even getting any voltage before the relay was replaced.. So I believe it maybe loosing fuel prime. It has been drove enough that air shouldn't be an issue.
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  9:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What are the readings to look for when checking ohms and voltage drop?
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2013 :  8:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When I check for ohms I replace them if they read higher than 2. I have found on these T444Es it only takes a couple of plugs to be bad and she wont start.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  12:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been stung with using ohms so i use our avr and measure amps. On average total draw should be 200 amps depending on the glow plugs.What i do depending on access to wiring is check total draw, then try and get at one plug , unglug the harness to the valve cover, jumper wire with the amp clamp around and power up jsut one plug. If lets say it reads 25 amps , then the total has to be 200 smps, if lets say its 20 amps then the total has to be 160 amp. If its off you know by the number how many are not working. EG. only get 150 amps total and each plug should be 25 amps I would have 2 not working. If there 25 or 18 they all have to be the same within 1 amp or something is wrong. I like to load the circuit, then you know 100% its working. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  7:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's interesting and I learned something too. thanks I will also try that next time

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  04:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I check circuits like these many times with an old sealed beamed headlamp. A great tester is an older 8 way load lamp. Ohms will mislead you, especially in something that has a high current draw.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  09:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've never had any issues using ohms but I am open to try different or better ways to do it.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  03:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This bus has new gps, valve cover gaskets, under valve cover harnesses, good relay, and still is a beast to start out in the cold....but starts fine when left in our heated shop...this bus has issues with also being sluggish at all times....would injectors be the next to try?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000