Management/Operations
 Enter Forum: Management/Operations
 Wore Out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueRidge Boy2014

8 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2013 :  8:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueRidge Boy2014's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As most of you know, I am posting from South Carolina. The Nation's oldest School Bus Fleet. (Or So we are told)

In 1994-95 South Carolina bought bunches, and bunches of Thomas pushers. Nice buses.

Well, those nice buses (I'll post pics) are now in my county, black on the back... They pop, squeak, and rattle like massive cantankerous heaps. I love them to death, but could these oldie goldies be ready for the grave yard?

None the less, those old pushers, STILL ride smoother than the C2's we have. The creaking and all still doesn't keep these drivers from doing 55-60 on a daily basis.

Our old 1986-1988 Internationals that are on routes, still run decent. The older ones are doing better than the C2's in some cases.

We have two Ford buses left in the State of SC. Two. 1984, special needs buses. Does anyone know why all of the Fords may have disappeared in the early 2000's?

txstreetman

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2013 :  10:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit txstreetman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those older buses are awesome runners. I'd keep those older mechanical diesels running as long as you can, because they will give you the least amount of trouble and be SO much more easy to work on than the newer computerized buses. The district I drove for has a 1985 IHC, '87 and 88 IHC along with some 90's, 91's and a '93 that are all mechanical 7.3 diesels... I'm a DT fan myself, but those buses will still run better than some of the newer garbage they have...

My personal '87 International that I bought from them was a mechanical 7.3 diesel, but their shoddy job installing the motor mounts on that reman engine ended up costing it it's crankshaft, so I am just finishing replacing the bad engine with a 1990 model DTA-360. Heck of a motor swap, and the turnout is going to be great.

Point is, run those oldies into the ground, because they'll keep running as long as you keep taking care of them...

-Jon

1987 Thomas International DTA360 5 Speed w/ 4 speed aux, air brakes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000