New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  05:53:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am wondering with all the issues for the International VT365...is it possible to repower the bus with another engine? I'm not a mechanic so I don't know all the logistics involved. We have 2 of these units (2006 models)and continue (like many others) dumping money into the engines to keep them road worthy. I'm certain the dealer would offer us little more than scrap value as a trade in. Aside from the engine issues the buses are both in good condition. What are your thoughts on a repower or engine replacement? What engine would be a suitable replacement?

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  06:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possible but not practical

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  10:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We repowered alot of our "mechanical" 7.3Ls with 466s as they died off (a 3 day project) but I would be afraid with the computers it would be near impossible with out rewiring. I would say trade the bus in...lol

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

txstreetman

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  1:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit txstreetman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Funny you mention repowering mechanical 7.3's with a DT466. I am in the process of repowering my 1987 from a 7.3 mechanical to a DTA360. Gotta adapt the DT wiring harness from a 90's 3800 chassis plug to the 1980's S-Series plug...

-Jon

1987 Thomas International DTA360 5 Speed w/ 4 speed aux, air brakes
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2013 :  04:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, I meant DT360s in our buses, and we had no problems with our swaps but we robbed the engines out of wrecked or rusted buses of the same vintage. Having a donor bus was great because you will need accelerator linkage, exhaust parts,radiator,etc. and even the dog box inside. You will have to cut out the fire wall to make it fit. Our cost of operation was cut by atleast 50-60% for the two buses we did. In my opinion the 360 is a tougher engine then the 466. Not as strong but will hold up just as good if not longer. I have several with over 300k that we run daily with very little trouble.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

txstreetman

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  05:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit txstreetman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We put the engine in over Thanksgiving. Still in the process of getting everything in. Front crossmember had to be scooted back for front engine mounts, and a few new holes had to be drilled in frame to accommodate 6 of the 8 bolt holes that didn't line up. Had to bring over the rear motor mounts, doghouse, and gas/brake pedals. Will also bring over rad/intercooler, and power steering reservoir. Throttle cable was the same between the two, so I kept the 7.3 cable as it was in better condition. I had originally made the glow plug controller manual via a starter button on the dash, and the engine stop cable sits in its place. Also, since this is at a RV/boat storage place, my friend and I have performed all of this with a mini excavator, and all hand tools (except for an angle grinder and drill)...

-Jon

Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  3:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
haha sounded like fun. I didn't have to drill any holes but mine aren't S series either. That engine swap will be the best investment you made on that bus. I am very pleased with ours

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

txstreetman

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  09:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit txstreetman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ended up pulling the crossmember frame mounts off the '90 and bolted them in so the holes would line up. Fired it up this weekend, and it sounded very happy...

-Jon

Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  3:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sweet !

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000