Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 1967 IHC Drag Link
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LocoEngineer

2 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  8:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit LocoEngineer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am on the hunt for a drag link for a 1967 IHC 24 passenger bus. The data plate shows Model 1603, VIN (Serial#) 416360H719552. This bus was acquired (I believe) from the Air Force in the 1980s by the 40&8 veterans organization. Several WWII veterans, all of whom have since passed, turned the bus into an 1800s vintage steam locomotive. Us younger vets continue the tradition of participating in parades, giving rides to children on military bases, etc. Our busiest season is Christmas and it's right around the corner. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ken Newman

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  04:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There was a similar unit in the Fort Wayne area I worked on as a young mechanic, had to crawl throughthe fire box hole to work on the engine. You may be able to take your old link to a truck grave yard like Hartley's in Muncie (800) 447-4444 or (765)288-8819. E-mail address hartleytruck@iquest.net ... or a similar yard and ask to look through the vintage iron. Some class 5 or 6 units may have parts close to yours, and you may have to get a pitman arm and the arm from the knuckle. Both Mack and Harvestor made smaller light duty unit from which part may be found. You may have to replace the whole axle and gear box to get it up to somthing workable. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  04:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No help without pictures. (J/kidding) I worked on 60's vintage IH's and things haven't changed much. Just be careful with length, tapers, and keeping things close to the same GVW. Pretty tough finding an original and it would probably be worn out too. Lots of newer parts out there. Have you tried places like Nicks?

http://www.nickstruckparts.com/drliceli.html#paging
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  05:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with trigger, no help without pic. Of course I'm kidding too but it would be nice to see that set up. Don't discount your local IH dealer. Be sure to ask pretty intently and don't take no for an answer. Keep asking questions like "are you sure you don't have a obsolete parts look up?" and "are there any old dealerships you know I can call?" and don't forget to ask "is there anyone around who runs a truck close to this age?". Also, you might go to your local NAPA or other locally owned parts store and ask about parts or if no luck with the part, ask if there is someone in the area running similar equipment. Depending on where you are there might be a farmer running an old grain truck with the same set up, then you can ask him where he gets parts. Where there is a will there is a way. Good luck and keep us posted it you don't mind.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  06:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this on a google search, http://memorylane.oldinternationaltrucks.ca/ I couldn't get it to got to the parts page but my connection has been real slow lately.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

LocoEngineer

2 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  5:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit LocoEngineer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. If I can figure out how to insert the picture, I send one along. I'll keep you posted.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  05:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If my memory serves, our IHs from that vintage used draglinks with rebuiltable ends, if its this style, there will be a cotter pin through a large screw driver slot on the end used for adjustment.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  06:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

If my memory serves, our IHs from that vintage used draglinks with rebuiltable ends, if its this style, there will be a cotter pin through a large screw driver slot on the end used for adjustment.

Memory jog! (what's left of it...) You are correct. Some did have that and a ball that was pressed into the steering arm and riveted from the back. IH sold a kit where you could grind off the riveted area and install a new ball with a nut in the back. If you were lucky enough to have power steering the valve was built into the drag link. On those, there was an inner flat nut for the ball fit and an outer flat to adjust the steering valve. Most of it was rebuildable. Also remember having to restore the ball safety slot on those after a lot of use. That's what kept the link from falling off when the ball socket got loose. If it's that type I think rebuild parts are still out there.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  07:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crown

quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Memory jog! (what's left of it...) You are correct. Some did have that and a ball that was pressed into the steering arm and riveted from the back. IH sold a kit where you could grind off the riveted area and install a new ball with a nut in the back. If you were lucky enough to have power steering the valve was built into the drag link. On those, there was an inner flat nut for the ball fit and an outer flat to adjust the steering valve. Most of it was rebuildable. Also remember having to restore the ball safety slot on those after a lot of use. That's what kept the link from falling off when the ball socket got loose. If it's that type I think rebuild parts are still out there.

Ahh Yeah! Our power steering versions had the control valve built into the draglink. Last one left here about 1984

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 11/22/2013 07:22:54 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000