Lets play "NAME THAT PART"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  1:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so I get a "new" 2002 IC conventional bus added to my fleet last week. It has the T444E under the hood. While going thru it I notice a weird looking contraption zip-tied to the fuel supply line just before the fuel filter. It is 2 halves with a notch in the center for the fuel line to rest in and its zip tied on the fuel line and is sliding up and down the line. It's made of plastic, 1 half is grey and the other half is black, and appears to have some sort of green plastic sight glass thru the center. It is placed so the 2 halves line up and you can kind of see thru the sight in the middle. There are no batteries or power cord. It is not magnetic. It doesn't have any openings or doors or anything to service on it. One of my drivers suggeted that it may be some sort of fuel economy maximizer, but it doesn't seem to do ANYTHING and I fail to see how it would help with fuel economy. I can email pics of it if you like so you can see it. Unfortunately I cant post pics on here so let me know if you want to see it. Any ideas on what this thing might be?
I play "NAME THAT PART" everyday when my drivers bring me various parts that fall off their buses so I thought I would see if anyone wants to play. Let me know what you think this may be.

BusCave

18 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  2:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusCave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Go to imgur.com and upload it, then post the link here. I'd like to see this mysterious part.
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  2:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to add that this bus came from Iowa and I am in Minnesota so I have to rule out any type of fuel heater since there is no power supply, unless there are parts missing from it but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to add onto it.

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  2:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK go to http://palmerbus.imgur.com and check it out

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  2:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I put a few search words in Google Images and found several devices that look similar to yours called a "fuel saver" or "fuel optimizer". Here is a link to an article with a picture of one that looks similar to your device. I think it has magnets in theirs though so I don't know. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/gas-mileage/1802932

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  3:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It aligns your fuel atoms in such a way as to get at least 20% better fuel mileage!! Just imagine the savings...
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  4:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

It aligns your fuel atoms in such a way as to get at least 20% better fuel mileage!! Just imagine the savings...

LOL Snake oil at its best!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  05:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to pick up a paper clip and a few other light weight metal objects with both halves of this thing and there are no magnetic capabilities in it what so ever.

Go to Top of Page

BusCave

18 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  05:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusCave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hahaha! Maybe it has IONS! Sounds like those Power Balance bracelets. Pure snake oil.
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  03:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember Slick 50, we had a lot of salesman trying to sell it and the little gadget that went on top of the distributor supposed to make the plugs fire hotter I think to get better fuel mileage.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa P

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  05:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa P's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From what everyone else is saying, it sounds like a Samoflange, to me :)
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  08:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is a Samoflange? I looked it up on Google but still can't figure it out. lol Found a company that is called Samoflange and all they said was they provide the best samolanges around and was in the business of providing quality service and could replace a "legacy" samoflange with new technology. ROTFLOL!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Lisa P

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  10:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa P's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Exactly, bwest! Samoflanges don't actually exist.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  10:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks like an early beta version of a flux capacitor. Whatever you do, keep that bus below 88mph!
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  2:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shall now forever refer to this piece as a Samoflange. I will store it on the shelf next to the muffler bearings and hubcap gaskets. Thank you all for the help (as always)

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  07:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddo

looks like an early beta version of a flux capacitor. Whatever you do, keep that bus below 88mph!

Funny!! Best movie ever!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000