New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2013 :  09:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone out there clean the engines on their diesel buses? If so, what products and techniques do you use to clean the engines on your buses?

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2013 :  09:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our vendor that comes in to wash our busses does our engines once a year he knows not to hit the ecm's or main electrical connectors. If we have to wash one on our own we use zep punch or purple power.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2013 :  11:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We pressure wash them on annuals now, so we can keep track of leaks and such. Also clean the radiators on transit buses, as we have had problems with overheating when the weather warms up. We use Share Corp.'s Formula 10 degreaser.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  1:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We clean our diesels whenever they come in for service. Helps me keep an eye on leaks and helps them run cooler by clearing the radiators. Also keeps the drivers happy by not getting their hands or clothes dirty while doing their pre-trip inspection. I use NAPA engine cleaner/degreaser and high pressure hot water. Doing this on a regular basis really helps eliminate pesky leaks before they get nasty.

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  4:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derbybug

We clean our diesels whenever they come in for service. Helps me keep an eye on leaks and helps them run cooler by clearing the radiators. Also keeps the drivers happy by not getting their hands or clothes dirty while doing their pre-trip inspection. I use NAPA engine cleaner/degreaser and high pressure hot water. Doing this on a regular basis really helps eliminate pesky leaks before they get nasty.

This NAPA product, does it fade the engine paint? I'm looking for a good degreaser and have a NAPA right next door. I wish they would try to sell me things like that. They're kind of in disarray at our NAPA dealer here.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  4:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that NAPA product is what my Uncle uses on my car:

http://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/547915_4350660693534_77308476_n.jpg

1999 Buick 3800 with 175k

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  12:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't seem to take the paint off. It works wonders for cleaning everything under the hood and on the firewall. I haven't noticed any negative effects as of yet. I usually buy it by the case when NAPA puts it on sale. Usually get it for $1.99/can. Cheap investment in my opinion.

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  1:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used a product from Carbrite. It is a mixture of two products of theirs; The Converter and Blue Max. It really works better than anything I have tried before but unfortunately I do not have a dealer that comes by anymore. I will be trying the NAPA product that was mentioned here though.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  2:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spray Nine
Napa sells it.
Nothing better.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  09:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Formula 10 degreaser we use comes in 55 gallon drums, which we pump into a garden weed sprayer. Much cheaper than little cans.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

offroadwolf1

33 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2013 :  05:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have all kinds of degreasers, some stronger than others. The best thing for the engines is a diesel burning pressure washer. You dont need any degreaser if you can pressure wash is with hot high pressure water. Just don't hit the electronis directly with the high pressure water.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000