Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 glow plug relay location, 2000 t444e
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andrew Bienhaus

23 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  8:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Bienhaus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey folks,
Back again now that cold weather is upon us... -5 (degC) last evening, and she wouldn't start. :-(

Glow plugs are drawing steady juice, and you can see when they drop out too. (cabin lights get brighter!)

But, she no start... probably just old and tired, I know the feeling. :-)
Plug in the block heater for half an hour, and all is well.

So, with the problem being that I won't always be able to plug her in, I'd like to prep to be able to use a little ether in these few situations.
The advice I've received to date, is that this can be ok, as long as I use the correct little amount, crank a little first (might as well get some oil pressure ready), and make SURE that the glow plugs are OFF, or they may ignite it prematurely?

If this is the case... I'd like to wire a dash light to the glow plug relay. Can you help me find it? :-)

2000 Int Corbeil body, T444E.

Thx!
Andrew

Fastback
Top Member

985 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  05:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 2000 should have an engine mounted computer, if so look behind the engine oil fill tube.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

torque

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2013 :  3:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The T444E glow plugs are used more for emissions than they are to aid in starting. That is why the are still drawing power after your wait to start light goes out, to aid in reducing white smoke upon starting. I rarely wait for the glow plugs on a T444E until -10*C or more, they usually fire right up or crank a little before starting. I would look more at your batteries, starter, and/or connections. The T444E needs to see a minimum of 250 RPM or it won't even try to start, will not give fuel. I have seen several that *seem* to be rolling over fine, but they are not at 250 RPM, and will not start, drop in some fresh batteries and will fire right up.
If you feel the need for a starting aid, use brake clean instead of ether when glow plugs or heated intakes are present.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2013 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000