New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  03:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 9 new CE300 Buses with MaxxForce DT with 2013 emissions. We have 3 that have showed code SPN 110 FMI 2 which is ECT1 (Engine Coolant Temp 1)erratic, intermittent or incorrect. It may have to do with the fact that we just began using our Webasto TSL 17 preheaters for the season....but no issues on over 70 other buses. Any ideas?

BusCave

18 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  08:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusCave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bassman

We have 9 new CE300 Buses with MaxxForce DT with 2013 emissions. We have 3 that have showed code SPN 110 FMI 2 which is ECT1 (Engine Coolant Temp 1)erratic, intermittent or incorrect. It may have to do with the fact that we just began using our Webasto TSL 17 preheaters for the season....but no issues on over 70 other buses. Any ideas?

Not sure about the code, but how do you like the TSL 17? How does it compare with the Espar?
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  12:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No experience with Espar. TSL 17's do a good job of preheating engine for us in cold weather and assists in the time it takes to get heat. They do require a good bit of maintenance to keep going. We do a test/repair of all units (75 or so) before cold weather. Then, we periodically go around and run performance tests on all of them once or twice in the winter to make sure they are good. Most of ours were purchased under a grant or came with the buses.
Go to Top of Page

BusCave

18 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  12:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusCave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

No experience with Espar. TSL 17's do a good job of preheating engine for us in cold weather and assists in the time it takes to get heat. They do require a good bit of maintenance to keep going. We do a test/repair of all units (75 or so) before cold weather. Then, we periodically go around and run performance tests on all of them once or twice in the winter to make sure they are good. Most of ours were purchased under a grant or came with the buses.

Thanks for the reply. One more question: Are all of your preheater plumbed in series with the body heaters? How well does the small internal pump move the coolant through that huge circuit?
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  03:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ours are plumbed to the engine and not to run through all the heaters. But....we just received 9 IC buses that are plumbed to run through the heaters despite how my spec reads, but they have it wired to kick on heater boost pump at the same time. I would rather not run the boost pump, so I am piloting one bus without the boost pump plugged in to test it. We have not had real cold weather yet but it works fine in 40 degrees.
Go to Top of Page

BusCave

18 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  09:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusCave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ours are plumbed to the engine and not to run through all the heaters. But....we just received 9 IC buses that are plumbed to run through the heaters despite how my spec reads, but they have it wired to kick on heater boost pump at the same time. I would rather not run the boost pump, so I am piloting one bus without the boost pump plugged in to test it. We have not had real cold weather yet but it works fine in 40 degrees.

Cool. Let us know how that works out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000