Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 cracked crossmember
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bandit

41 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  4:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit bandit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am new to working on buses, and I have a cracked crossmember by the rear tire where the mud flap goes, can I just weld angle iron on this or is there a kit of some sort? I would like to put this bus back in service but I want to make sure I am doing it right. the bus is a 1996 ford any suggestions would be great.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  08:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be real careful when welding anything on a school bus. Personally, I can weld anything together. I have the capability to do it but choose not to because of liability. Just keep in mind, if there is an accident with injuries or death there will be an investigation. With this investigation will come countless questions about what repairs were done and not done, what qualifications you, or anyone that worked on the bus, have or do not have. If you choose to do it just have all your ducks in a row. Chances are nothing will ever happen. but if it does it won't be pretty.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  09:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
bandit, if you did weld it to the frame, it would not stay on, anyway.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  04:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure exactly what kind of issue you have.

If you are talking about welding on the bus chassis, not a good idea.

If you are talking about an issue on the bus body, maybe.

If you are talking about a rear mud flap bracket problem on a Bluebird body, they do sell bolt on replacements.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bandit

41 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  07:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit bandit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The problem is where the mud flap bolts to is all rotted away, it looks like its just angle iron to me, the mechanics I replaced had a history of outsourcing everything I want to keep as much in house as I can and I don't know what they did in the past, its only about a 8" section that rotted. the spot where the mud flap was bolted. Thanks for the feedback you guys being new to buses I have got lots of questions my last fleet was deice trucks at the airport, and I am finding out they are quite a different animal.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  07:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bandit

The problem is where the mud flap bolts to is all rotted away, it looks like its just angle iron to me, the mechanics I replaced had a history of outsourcing everything I want to keep as much in house as I can and I don't know what they did in the past, its only about a 8" section that rotted. the spot where the mud flap was bolted. Thanks for the feedback you guys being new to buses I have got lots of questions my last fleet was deice trucks at the airport, and I am finding out they are quite a different animal.

That is not a Ford chassis component, what brand of school bus body?

Edited by - Fastback on 10/17/2013 08:31:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

bandit

41 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  11:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit bandit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
blue bird body
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  11:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, then I bet this part is what you need, it bolts to the body sill and the mud flap bolts to it, its a common replacement part, Mud Flap Retainer 1876713 is the Bluebird name/part #;

http://www.sbsales.com/images/products/1876713.gif

Edited by - Fastback on 10/17/2013 11:32:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  12:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1452

TAC
1-800-848-0756
They have what you need.
Call 'em.

And you'll need the part Fastback listed.

Edited by - second.flood on 10/17/2013 12:45:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  07:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be sure to check your Blue Bird dealer. I have found that most of the time their prices are the same or better than what you can get aftermarket.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  12:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to find my BB dealer's prices were good too bwest. I always bought stuff from them, never bothered with the aftermarket. Especially on lighting and fixtures. (Usually cheaper than NAPA)

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  1:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weld them in or bolt them in. I've done both. 1876713 — Blue Bird Mud Flap Bracket
Dealer is not cheaper.
http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1138

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bandit

41 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  2:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit bandit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys I am going to try that
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000