New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  5:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know there was a similar topic to this one a while back, but I thought I'd bring it up again because I'm curious.

How do you get a job delivering school buses over the summer (whether it be cross country or local)? Would you need to contact a local bus dealer, the manufacturer itself, or...? Does anyone know?

I've been interested in doing this for a while now, but I've never really been able to talk to anyone about it. I ran into a couple people delivering some Blue Birds to San Diego Unified School District this past November, but they worked for an entirely different shipping company that I guess either the bus dealer or manufacturer contracted out to.

Anyway, any information would be helpful. I think it would be a nice change of pace and a fun summer job.

Crown Supercoach - The “Royalty” of Pupil Transportation

Skewl Bus Boi
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  6:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some dealers employ their own drivers. Try asking them, if nothing else they can tell you what shipping company they use.

—Phil

"Blue Bird!" "of happiness?"
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  7:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Some dealers employ their own drivers. Try asking them, if nothing else they can tell you what shipping company they use.

Thanks, Phil. I'll give that a try.

Go to Top of Page

Bus Driver 0109

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  9:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live near a Blue Bird dealer and they call drivers up and ask them if they want to make a little extra monsy. It can be anything from taking a new bus and bringing the old one back, delivering charter buses, school buses and city transportation buses. Get paid by the hour. Even get paid while you stop for lunch or could be taking a nap in the chaser car. It can be a lot of fun, but it can be rough with the waking up at 3 am and not returning until late that night.

Brian

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  11:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you call the plants where the buses are made, there should be someone there that can put you in touch with the local driveaway company. Sometimes you can get lucky and deliver a bus one direction and something else coming back towards home. I did it years ago and made a little money and saw a lot of the country.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  5:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ladd Transit in Richmond, Indiana has been in the School Bus delivery business for many years! I drive for them on weekends going to the Mid West Blue Bird Plant in Mt.Pleasant, Iowa, Tulsa, OK to the IC plant and may have a trip down to either La Fayette, GA or Ft. Valley to the Blue Bird plant their to bring back to Indiana a transit style bus.

Ladd has for years been in Richmond, IN to deliver many of the Wayne’s and then Carpenter buses all across the country.
This is a really fun job, because you get to see the country and like someone else said you drive a new School Bus empty!...lol

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  5:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, Kevin, I know about Ladd now. I started this topic a looong time ago. Someone must've replied to it recently causing it to bump up to the top again. Oh well.

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  09:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trina,
I'm glade you brought this up! Maybe we can get more driver's over the summer to look into doing this! If you like to drive and would like to see the country, ask your local Blue Bird, IC, or Thomas dealers.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  3:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, today I finally located the new bus yard for the Plymouth schools and I found out what their new buses will be.

Most of you remember me posting about the whole situation of the town of Plymouth. Basically, the town is switching over from Laidlaw to First Student. I was told they would be getting brand-new 2003 International/Blue Birds.

Well, when riding by their new bus yard today, I saw all brand-new 2003 IC CE's. All of them looked great of course. I'd say there were about 30 of them. They should be getting about 38 more. ALL of the drivers will be driving brand-new school buses. They had the black entrance door and black/yellow cowl. Also, the blacked-out International diamond was on the cowl.

I can't wait to see these buses out and about when school starts!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000