IC Coolant Level Sensors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  6:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Prior to 2013 coolant level sensors were an option in RE Navistar buses. These could have been left off your bus inadvertently by the individual who writes your bus specifications at your dealership. The harness is in place along with the coolant level module. The only thing which may be missing is the sensor in the radiator surge tank.
If you do not have this sensor on your bus there is no audible or visible warning in the drivers compartment to indicate low coolant.
If you are experiencing repeated EGR cooler failures this could be the cause.
A more serious problem can be hydrolocking of the engine by injested coolant. This will cause internal engine damage. Be cautious if you find EGR cooler failure. If the bus does not seem to run smooth after replacing the cooler, two tests should be run, a relative compression test using ServiceMaxx software followed by a cylinder performance analyzer test. If one or more cylinders is showing defective, measuring piston height on each cylinder is recommended.
The sensors run around $35 each. After installing the sensor, ecm programming is required. Change the Engine Warning and Protection System parameter 77002 to level 1 and program the ecm. This will tell the ecm to watch for low coolant and trigger the MIL light, audible alarm and Stop Engine lamp.
If you have any questions or need more detail please contact me.

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  8:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our 05 RE buses did not have the sensors either. I found a I-know article that tells how to program the VT-365 and the 466-EGR engines. The Sensor, Module and harness runs about $225.00. You still need to wire the power side of the module to an ignition source so its not powered up at all times. Simple as that. We programmed the ECM for 3 way alarm and plastic tank. We still have 2 buses to up grade. All of our 05 FE's had a similar issue. Everything was installed in the bus except "someone" programmed the ECM with Plastic tank and had the ECL turned off. You can program with Service MAXX or the older program I believe. Service MAXX is the easier of the 2 to use for programming.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.01 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000