Enter Forum: General Interest
 Pay & Benifits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spanky

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2002 :  03:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Send spanky an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I want to poll others to find out what the pay & benifits are out there. To be fair, let me tell you what we are at.
1. First of all we are a Non-Union school district ( thats another topic)
2. are school district is a class B school
3. are school district is in one of the more affluant communities here in michigan.
4. we all are classified as part time employees - drivers are the only ones classified this in our entire school, everyone else, janitorial, cooks, grounds, clerical,maintenance, mechanic, and faculty are full-time and recieve bennifits.
5. guarenteed only 10 hours per week. this is based on one trip in am and one pm run. Does not count field trips
6. your first year driving you start out at $14.55 per run.
7. at your 3rd year you are now at $17.95 per run
8. Field trips we are paid $12.25 per hour from the time you leave the school and untill the time you return. Plus meals.
9. we do not recieve benifits, nor (according to the school) can we buy or co-pay.
Yes, we all accept the fact that at our school district you can not make a living at driving bus.
I would like to know what else is out there, so please respond. Thanks

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2002 :  09:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here in GA we are considered full-time employees, and are eligeable for state health insurance and retirement. We also earn 1 1/4 sick days and 1/4 personal day per month.

Edited by - kd4jfd on 01/26/2002 05:37:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2002 :  12:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bus company's drivers are all union, they recieve the following:

1-2 Weeks Vacation

2 Sick Days

Benefits (if full time)

$9.00-$13.00 depending on seniority

Blue Bird... America's BEST!

E-mail me: RLS1400@aol.com, IM me: RLS1400, or visit my site: www.bluebirdstop.cjb.net

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2002 :  12:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try to find out more for you!

Blue Bird... America's BEST!

E-mail me: RLS1400@aol.com, IM me: RLS1400, or visit my site: www.bluebirdstop.cjb.net

Go to Top of Page

MamaLoca
Advanced Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2002 :  2:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit MamaLoca's Homepage  Send MamaLoca an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We are currently Non-Union although we have been Union in the past. We are in a fairly affluent community although our tax rate is reasonable in the neighborhood of 17.00 per thousand depending on which town within the district you live in.

We have a reasonably comprehensive contract the base of which came from our Union days. Although we have been able to build on it since we formed the "Canandaigua School Bus Driver's Association".

• Non-Route Drivers (substitutes) start at around 9.50 per hour which is also our trip rate.

• Regular and Partial Route Driver's (both considered Part Time) start at 10.00 all the way up to 18.00 per hour.
    Regular RD's do double runs am and pm and are garaunteed 4 hours per day. Partial RD's are garaunteed 3 hours per day.

• The Districts uses a somewhat complicated formula to calculate their contribution towards Health Insurance. (a percentage of the most popular plan, they offer 5 plans, Non, Partial & Regular RD's have progressively greater % of District contribution)

• We have a set greivance proceedures, although we lost the right to "Binding Arbitration" some time ago. No matter the case the Superintendant and School Board have the final say

• Our training pay rate is 8.50 per hour Although your initial training for your CDL is unpaid.

There are other smaller points but this is the jist of the document.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
http://www.canandaiguaschools.org/bus/
Go to Top of Page

busdrivinwoman

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2002 :  10:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have substitute drivers, regular drivers of 4 hours and regular drivers of 5 hours. When I started as a sub the pay then was $9.91 an hour. I'm sure it has been raised since then. I have now been driving for 6 years, at a 4 hour contract, making $13.15 an hour. All regular drivers get accumulated sick time and 3 paid personnel days a year. I just became a 5 hour driver a few weeks ago which entitled me to get medical, dental, vision and life insurance. Our 4 hour contracted drivers aren't entitled to this. On field trips we make the same wage as we do during our contracted hours.

safety is number one, ohio school bus driver
Go to Top of Page

ridge runner

8 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  5:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MILK MONEY

Go to Top of Page

Holly

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2002 :  1:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in Illinois, at least from what I know about a number of school districts, it just depaends. Most school district drivers are considered part time but are given very good benefits. I don't how many are union, but I do know one one very large school district in Elgin that has a union for its drivers. I think they may even belong to the Teachers union. If I'm wrong about that, I stand corrected.
Most school bus companies don't have great benefits, but thet are getting better because the competion is tuff, and it's becoming a three ring circus. That means that there are really only a couple carriers in the area.

Go to Top of Page

UncleNeal

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  09:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our drivers start at $ 14.44 per hour, with a 7 hour daily guarantee. We receive full benefits for ourselves, and a reduced rate for spouses, children, etc. We work September through June, and the summer is only as needed. We compete with places like Los Angeles Unified School District, so they try to keep our drivers relatively well paid. Our overtime is paid at time and a half for anything over 8 hours a day and weekends. The drivers and all classified employees (painters, carpenters, grounds care, etc.) are in the same union. It is not bad, but of course we hope for better.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000