Monitoring Drivers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DaveB

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2002 :  06:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What works best to make sure your drivers are driving safely and following your company's procedures? (New drivers drive like angels when you are training them but many drive like the devil when they are on their own)

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2002 :  07:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Video cameras can be installed in a way that shows the driver as well as students. Cameras and some engines can be programmed to record speed, stopping, and use of lights.

Or, if all else fails, every so often follow buses around in an unmarked car that they wouldn't recognize...don't be obvious about it, of course, and it won't work for the whole run (turnarounds, etc), but it might be the only way to get an accurate idea of what they're doing.

—Phil

"It's the same way some people are obsessed with cars. I'm just weird."
Go to Top of Page

mr.dave
Advanced Member

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2002 :  07:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think an onboard computer system with digital cameras fore and aft, a g-force indicator, gps locator, and speedometer upload. A contractor could hardwire this into the bus. should not cost more than $2500. per bus. The real expense would be hiring extra personnel to monitor the results. You may also try talking to your drivers about your concerns. listening to their concerns over schedules, student problems, and problem students. If you pay by the hour point out that the slower the driver goes, the more they get paid. Hope something in here is helpful.-shalom dave

Go to Top of Page

Mr. B SB #377

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2002 :  12:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a lead driver for my company, I sometimes change routes with a driver and get comments from the students about their regular driver. Also parental complaints are reviewed with drivers and they are given the opportunity to rebut the complaint and then reviewed with our Mngr. for disposition. Some drivers are referred into our DIP "driver improvement program" and are reevaluated by our trainer. Otherwise, all drivers go through DIP once a year. The DIP is similar in scope to the CDL licensing test given by the state, only a little more stringent since we are "experienced and trained professional drivers."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000