New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  07:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess my cable from my PC to the J1939 connector is bad. I keep getting a message that says "unable to connect, check connections". This is after trying to use Wabco and Cat software. Does anyone know what I need to be able to connect to my PC using Wabco and Cat software?
Thanks

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  10:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Nexiq USB SmatLink adapteris the most user friendly. go to www.apexinds.com to see their cable and adapters.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  1:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I found an adapter from NAPA. They want $750 or some such thing. I don't understand how these things can be so high. I'll either talk the boss into a unit from Snap-On or I'll just go without probably. Really need to do some more research though. Wonder if there is a company out there that provides software for a laptop for Cat, IH, GM, etc.?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  2:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snap-On sells the Nexiq usb adapter. OEM software is expensive but well worth it if you want to make $$$. I bought my own laptop, cables and software. It costs well over $100 every trip to the dealer for diagnosis of a SES lamp. I charge 50-$75 every time I plug my laptop into a vehicle.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  3:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bwest, could you describe what your current setup is? It's possible that all you need to replace is the cable between your PC and your adapter. I keep several cables from an online vendor on the shelf, so if one fails, I just throw it out and put on a new one.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  2:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's what I got from Cat. Has a USB cable into a little box wi lights on the front then a cable that goes to a third cable that then goes to the j1939

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  12:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be just the USB cable, or the connection on the "little box." Is it USB on both ends?

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  1:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it's usb on one end and a parallel port on the other.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  2:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it look like any of these?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031104

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000