Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 08 int maxforce dt466 white smoke
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  05:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no codes,no lights while smoking.intermittent problem..anyone with any suggestions would b greatly appreciated thx!!!

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  07:15:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Run a contributiion test with ServiceMaxx
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  12:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you using any coolant? If so, might want to suspect EGR cooler
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  4:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had buses with partially plugged DOC faces blow mass white smoke every time they try to regen and the acceletrator gets mashed down. '07 MFDT's in my case...big cloud of white smoke.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  5:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's my thoughts too. Regen getting under way. Take it for a 30 minute uninterrupted drive at highway speeds.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  04:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats my thoughts too..im going to take it on the hwy.so if goes into regen mode its "normal"?
this one is eating my lunch lol thanks guys for all your help.BTW I tried to do a contribution test servicemax didnt let me perform test.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  07:07:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it an 07 emissions MaxxForce DT or a DT466?
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  08:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes sir 2007 maxforce DT 466
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  05:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this bus came back with same problem.going todrive again today to see if i can get it to smoke.anyone have any ideas? thx
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  08:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had issues with my 07 DT's doing similar... that vintage has been a pain.. I had 3 of 4 buses in and out of dealer for the past yr for intermittent whitish/bluish smoke problems, sometimes making oil, etc....(and usually while at dealer they would run fine or so they would tell me) after many tests, many parts and time at dealer... the DOC's were replaced.. so far after starting school the buses have run without issue...fingers crossed they keep going thru yr the same (it has only been 3-4 wks approx 4-5000 miles).... the one bus that ran decent with no apparent smoke or making oil issues thru all of the others having problems had the DOC replaced in warranty a couple yrs ago..

All of the above buses had DOC's and DPF's cleaned numerous times.. (prior to IH finally letting dealer replace the DOC's)...and within days of getting them back they would start billowing smoke intermittently .. Now after DOC replacement... so far so good!!

I was told DOC was not heating up properly due to being a bad, no other explanation given... it took along time to come to that conclusion... but ended up IH covered the cost of them out of warranty

As I said above fingers crossed this cures them for a few thousand miles.... Time will tell,lol

Edited by - slippert on 09/24/2013 08:39:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  08:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thx slippert!!!!!turns out bus has a software update thats first of course,next it DOC's i apprieciate it so much this has my hair getting thinner lol thx again
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  05:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wellmy problem child returned. guess next step is dropping DOCs and inspecting them. Any more suggestions? Thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  11:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can't say it will help yours for sure.... but know my 4- 2008's had to have doc's replaced to clear up my intermittent whitish/blue smoke.....mind you this was after numerous removals, pic's taken and cleaning by dealer... if you can get dealer to pickup cost under policy or warranty is really good,,, as they are not cheap to buy..! took many months of frustration but so far this yr smoke has not come back nor extra oil appeared yet! fingers crossed...

I have 1 bus of that vintage that has another issue I will post in different topic...
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  3:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And most of mine with DOC face plugging have an EGR cooler failure in the past...Check the MAT and MAP for signs of hot steam damage or plugging from excessive soot. ITV failures are fairly common as well with EGR problems. Do your turbo bounce test and feel the travel both ways on the actuator throw checking for rough spots...If the MAT sensor is baked so bad the sensor is drooping you can bet there are other problems as well. Coolant level and the fill procedures are critical or you'll end up with compound problems $$$.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  03:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are heading down the same path as us. All 10 of mine have had same problem. Design flaw of using in-cyl dosing. Making sure DOC are not face plugged and keeping the DPF's in range by taking to a shop that has a good operator using an FSX machine when they do get bad (100,000 - 150,000) miles are the best tools to combat. International seems to stay with their thought that if everythig is perfect, the units will run OK. In reality, after multiple trips to the dealer and doing without the bus for weeks at a time, the problem settles down a while and then reoccurs. I remember my first time demanding them clean out the DOC after 4 months of playing with the bus and it worked! Then, you get so tired of taking them back and dealing with tech central that follow a corporate flow chart to nowhere, you give up.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000