New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  06:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have three '08 Visions that the hood skin is separating from the inner headlight area and hood hinge. This is causing the area around the right hood hinge to crack. I plan to try re-gluing and adding some rivits to hold the panels together. I'll post photos soon. My question is what is the correct glue to bond the hood panels back? Anyone experiencing this problem?

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  6:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/nixbus/media/08_vision_hood1_zpsc856dd06.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/nixbus/media/ddadbecf-4c99-4e77-a901-8c83df235d68_zps1160a929.jpg.html][/URL]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 08/29/2013 05:21:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  08:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolf, I have a fix for that by the hinge as for the separation I bolt the two halves back together with 1/4" bolts and washers the hinge crack is from the constant pressure of the torsion bars trying to lift the hood. I have plates made to the form of the hood both left and right takes about an hour per side about $120.00 per hood both sides I made the first one steel shop copied and made me lefts and rights and powder coated them, done almost 10 of them some one side some both. I think I have some pics.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  08:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tb4020

Wolf, I have a fix for that by the hinge as for the separation I bolt the two halves back together with 1/4" bolts and washers the hinge crack is from the constant pressure of the torsion bars trying to lift the hood. I have plates made to the form of the hood both left and right takes about an hour per side about $120.00 per hood both sides I made the first one steel shop copied and made me lefts and rights and powder coated them, done almost 10 of them some one side some both. I think I have some pics.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  08:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be awesome TB4020 if you had pics of the fix. I riveted the headlight areas already, it seemed to strengthen the hinge mount up but still cracking.
quote:

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  08:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolf, shoot me an email having trouble attaching the pics
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  10:42:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ironwolf at tds dot com.
quote:

Wolf, shoot me an email having trouble attaching the pics

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  04:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wolf, the address for your e-mail won't work try me: tbrown at imlay dot k12 dot mi dot us thanks I have the pics!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  07:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry I should have put dot net. would you mind trying again when you get time?
quote:

wolf, the address for your e-mail won't work try me: tbrown at imlay dot k12 dot mi dot us thanks I have the pics!

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  07:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pics sent!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  09:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the photos. We will be doing something similar soon before it's too late. I'm ready to sew it up with #9 wire.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  09:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some have been on for three years now, there are some holes to drill you can reach the bolts through the parking light the worst part is getting the bolts out of the hinge without snapping them off. I believe the steel shop kept the pattern in their cad system. We have made several field improvements to the Vision at little cost many times cheaper than the replacement parts from Bird, farmer engineering at work!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  5:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tb4020, I see your buses on the road! They look good. I am not surprised the person to come up with that fix would be so local...I am sure I know the steel shop you are using. What is up with the buses going in and out of that body shop near Dove's? Is the neighboring district doing more rehab rather than replacing?
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  04:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big D's Kustoms is the body shop by dove's he's very good treats the school well. He just did a job for me didn't ask for an est. when he gave me the bill I said you've got more into it than that he said well yeah but, so I told him I don't mind paying for a job well done make it right! JAS is the steel shop we use they treat us very well also. As for the other district they aren't buying new ones so they have no choice the "boys in blue" have been raking them over the coals the past couple years.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  7:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am very familiar with JAS through my work as well. I usually try to maintain some anonymity on here for privacy sake, but it is fun to know when someone is so local. I will quit hijacking the thread now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000