Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 cummins 8.3 cranks, won't start.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Farmridge

51 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2013 :  1:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1993 All American with a Cummins 8.3. It starts and runs fine. The drivers does one of his routes, gets to school, shuts the bus off. It will crank but not start. If you let the bus sit for a hour or so, or over night it will crank and start just fine. Also it will crank and start if you crack open the injector lines.
We had one do this about 3 years ago and changed the fuel pump, all filters, injectors and injector pump. None of this fixed it.
I am at a lose.

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  6:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This vintage of bus uses an electric solenoid to turn the fuel on and off. It is on the side of the engine above the fuel injection pump or to the rear. There were two styles. There is also a module which controls it. As I recall it is behind the front panel in front of the driver. It has a pull-in and hold-in mode. While cranking it is supposed to pull the solenoid in and after the engine starts the hold in mode takes over and holds the solenoid in until you turn the key off.
This may be as simple as a dirty solenoid plunger or binding linkage. It is a high wear area and needs frequent checking. I recommend checking the solenoid at every oil change. It will have a rubber boot on the nose which covers the solenoid plunger.
It may also not be pulling in far enough to hold in. One problem that existed with this type of solenoid is over time they would start to overheat and loose the magnet pull and pop out and shut down.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000