Steering Basics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  7:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would you pass the drag link in the video during a monthly inspection if there was absolutely no linear play in the link when tire is grabbed at both sides and moved from side to side (basic steering linkage check)? Bus is a 2000 year International RE.

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/cloudlicker/media/bikies/august/DIGI0006_zpsdc80e586.mp4.html

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  7:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, from what I see. But are there any other complaints on this unit?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Farmridge

51 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  12:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that will pass.

If you can't handle the answer, don't ask the question
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  7:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No other complaints, just wanting to get some other opinions on it. Thanks for the input. I'll be glad when these REs are gone.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  06:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you worried about the ball rotating in the socket easily? It's got to be able to move to do its job, just as long as it holds the steering geometry accurately (as you stated in your post it does...)

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  07:19:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The FE & RE draglinks are quite long and heavy when compared to a conventional bus, the bend and weight do give it a differant feel when you move it, you lift its weight rotating it in one direction and gravity will take it back the other.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 08/16/2013 07:34:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  6:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raytobe

Would you pass the drag link in the video during a monthly inspection if there was absolutely no linear play in the link when tire is grabbed at both sides and moved from side to side (basic steering linkage check)? Bus is a 2000 year International RE.

Rotational movement of that type does not have much relevance, but neither does checking for play in the steering system by grabbing the tire with your hands and trying to move it. Play should be checked by rocking the steering wheel back and forth with the vehicle sitting on hard ground. It's even more effective if you do this with the transmission in neutral, parking brake set, wheels chocked, and the engine running. Many inspectors use only the running-engine method.

Edited by - Crown on 08/15/2013 8:51:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  4:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here in VA the state police require that we raise the vehicle with a jack and grasp the tire from side to side to check steering linkage play. At the link below is the exact page in the manual that we use.

With a new drag link on an RE you'd be hard pressed to move the link in the easy manner that I did in the video.
There are mechanics in my shop that check drag links and tie rod ends using the rotational check. If they can rotate it it gets rejected. This is not how I do it.

I have hopes that this thread can change this practice. You know how some folks get set in their ways. Which is fine, but if it makes more headaches for me (don't ask) then some other opinions might be welcome.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-110

To complete manual: http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC19030.HTM#C0070
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  07:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, in an effort to be bipartisan, lol, I will inject this into the conversation. I can see where there is probably "some" wear when they can be rotated. But if there is no play in the system, you are spending money you don't need to spend. In this day and age you might be spending money that is keeping you or one of your co-workers employed.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  7:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No up and down play is acceptable. The rotational view is normal and in this State up to 1/8" linear play is acceptable. Our linear play check is done with both wheels on the floor and the driver rocking the wheel back and forth with the engine off.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 08/19/2013 7:19:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  05:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

No up and down play is acceptable. The rotational view is normal and in this State up to 1/8" linear play is acceptable. Our linear play check is done with both wheels on the floor and the driver rocking the wheel back and forth with the engine off.

Engine off, that's interesting.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  05:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

This is similar to Michigan's ck for tie rods and drag links, According to our manual depending on whether you consider hand pressure rocking steering wheel with engine off or grabbing tie rod or drag link with your hand? Our inspectors normally have us set in bus and rock wheel with engine off.. when in shop alone I have to grab part and apply pressure or rock steer shaft under hood to ck them.. normally I do both..

Directly from MI inspection manual

Yellow tag- any motion other than rotational,between the linkage member and its attachment point less than 1/8 inch measured with hand pressure only..

Red tag- any motion other than rotational, more than 1/8 inch with hand pressure only..

Then there is a separate section for Red tag- ball and socket joints in inspection manual that says the same as far as movement

Basically if there is any movement other than rotational, replace it...

The part is a ball and socket so it is designed to rotate..
From what I see in original pic part is just rotating..

Edited by - slippert on 08/20/2013 11:05:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  09:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, I replaced it anyway. Better too soon than too late. Our district has tons of money-- I just don't get much of it.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  05:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
^^^ Yep, Always best to stay on the side of caution with steering parts IMO too...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000