New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  2:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some antiques that the floor gussets above the rear axle are rotting through. These don't run side to side like the rest. They run lengthwise about 39" long in a boxed area right over the axle. Do you guys patch them or replace? I'm thinking maybe lay some c channel in and trying my upside down welding skills.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  7:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with that. Not for the faint of heart. Lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  8:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What would you weld them to ? The floor sheet would be gone as well so nothing but plywood left. Are the wheel well humps still intact? I think you can get those new. I would go with square tubing myself.

Edited by - mastertech on 07/31/2013 9:14:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  07:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The floor sheetmetal is ok and the wheel tubs are not rotted. It's the 3 center gussets that are rotted, the other two sit under the inside edge of the wheel tubs. I could overlay them but welding to the floor could ignite the plywood. It's my 2000 Fruitliner Bluebird, we can use it 1 more year as a route bus. Then it's a temp for 4 more, maybe. Could end up hauling melons in the future. LOL

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  08:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would it have to be welded up next to the floor? Can't you just cut out the old metal and just weld it on the ends? If you use a heavier piece of channel or square tubing it won't need the added support that the old thin stuff needed. Just a thought.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  11:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are talking that rectangular tubing running front-to-back that is only above the rear axle, correct? Common problem, we use a field fix from TAC and weld them to the floor...haven't gotten the plywood on fire YET!

http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1066 They list them here, but you should call them and talk it through to make sure you are getting what you need.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  1:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

You are talking that rectangular tubing running front-to-back that is only above the rear axle, correct? Common problem, we use a field fix from TAC and weld them to the floor...haven't gotten the plywood on fire YET!

http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1066 They list them here, but you should call them and talk it through to make sure you are getting what you need.

Yes, only above the axle. I believe that may be what we need. I'll have parts call and see if that is it. Thanks

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 08/01/2013 1:24:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  07:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a bunch of x-members that were rotten on a 03 BB special needs bus last christmas. That was loads of fun even with a hoist used the TAC repairs where I could and some custom fab work and a lot of burn holes in my clothes! I don't think you could ignite that wet nasty plywood if you wanted to, I had to use a hole saw in the floor of the same bus to access the fuel sender (no access hole) couldn't hardly drill it just gummed everything up. Bus is going down the road this summer what a relief!
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  3:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've patched a few well enough to satisfy the DOT but we really try to get rid of them before they get that bad...... usually the Thomas bodies. Between 13 and 17 years old is the limit up here in the Rust Belt.
Cutting the body loose and replacing those elements is a waste of labor and money in Maine because there are usually bigger issues looming like the stepwells and the frame.
By that age they've usually had fuel tank, transmission pan and oil pan replacements.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 08/03/2013 3:53:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  6:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

I've patched a few well enough to satisfy the DOT but we really try to get rid of them before they get that bad...... usually the Thomas bodies. Between 13 and 17 years old is the limit up here in the Rust Belt.
Cutting the body loose and replacing those elements is a waste of labor and money in Maine because there are usually bigger issues looming like the stepwells and the frame.
By that age they've usually had fuel tank, transmission pan and oil pan replacements.

All I can say is WOW! We don't have that problem in southern Illinois.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  05:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ones we have fixed (blue birds with the components in question) were fine otherwise...those are just a weak spot for some reason.

Now the Thomas I used to deal with...another story!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000