New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  08:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else having trouble with the seat frame on the CE200? I have two 2010s and one 2006. All three have had the sheet metal "web" on the back break out. They are just breaking right at the weld and the thin metal tab that is formed in the sheet metal just bends down and goes behind the frame. Most times it ruins the foam because it pushes the frame through it after it breaks. So I have to pull the seat cover and foam then pull the sheet metal back to the front of the frame & straighten then weld it back up. I guess my kids need to go on a diet.

Full disclosure here, I have had some problems on other brands but they are much older when it starts to happen. I still contend these things are built for the guys leasing for 3 to 5 years and the guys like me who keep them until they need to have antique plates put on them are just out of luck.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guy I know has two CEs are that just finishing the first year on the road...every back is broken. IC dealer didn't want to warranty it, because the seats are no longer made by IC, so he did the repair in house. Have fun with that.

A local school had the same issue and put pressure on IC...the repair was made free of charge, including all new foam.

I'm sorry but these aren't senior center buses where little old ladies sit down gingerly. These are school buses and they have to withstand a reasonable amount of abuse...you'd think bus makers would grasp that concept by now.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  11:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you're saying. I "still" think they are making them just as cheaply as they possibly can so they can win bids. (I'm not implying they are unsafe) I know my buddy from Mid-West will not like this but these kind of problems remind me of Carpenters. I thought when that company went out of business we were rid of these problems.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  1:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan, I was having the same thought in remembering our mechanics re-welding the seat backs of our '96 CBC.
Go to Top of Page

J. Kimmel Midwest

4 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  5:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit J. Kimmel Midwest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bryan, You will need to do the proper repair. Call me and I can give you the info that will help you out.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  5:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TSI-13-47-01 explains the factory fix for this issue. Basically just put screws in replace the welds. This is a serious safety issue as the only thing keeping the kids from going through the seat in a crash is the vinyl cover. Repair asap.
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  6:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When sitting in AmTran/IC seats, I can feel the sheet on the back flexing, you know the noise that it makes when you shake around a large, thin piece of metal? Never had that with our Birds or Thomases.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  9:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll do that Jim. I think I have more than this one, even on the other makes. After I posted last I was on another bus and could feel one loose. Again, this was on an older bus. Jim, won't be back in the office til Monday.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2013 :  03:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the proper repair needs to be done...I just don't see why WE should incur the expense and lost time of doing it. Isn't that what WARRANTY is for?
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2013 :  05:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I found some of the IMMI brand seats in my 2011-12's with backs like you are talking about this summer... would upload a pic, but for some reason isn't working for me right now! hadn't really seen an issue with older IC seats, but special needs buses in my fleet and for the most part my kids don't seem as rough on seats as regular ed kids appear to be...
Anyway dealer told me frames and foam were warrantied for 5yrs and covers for 2yrs... they offered to do warranty repair like mastertech posts...or replace backs.... the good thing about the IMMI seats is the back is removable and fairly easy to replace, remove cover. remove 4 bolts and pull back off bottom seat frame... So backs were replaced.
Appears to me seat manufacture knows they have a problem as new seat backs have extra metal straps welded along edge of seat pan where it attaches to tube frame.. looks alot better and beefier than original seat back did.. Time will tell if they hold up any better?

Edited by - slippert on 07/26/2013 06:06:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2013 :  4:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm , I'll have to check that out. I don't remember seeing those on my bus.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  8:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think they have only been using the IMMI seats for a couple of yrs.. before that I believe IC made there own.. 2010 might not be the IMMI's
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000