General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 Hybrid School Buses???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cjt079

3 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  5:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit cjt079's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What happened to hybrid school buses? Both the IC Bus and Thomas websites removed hybrid buses. Are they not making them anymore?

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  06:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas has not removed Hybrids from their site, they're listed under the "Earth Friendly" tab on the main page. I did notice a few weeks ago that the IC hybrid is no longer listed on the IC bus page. Not sure what's going on with the IC plug-in hybrid
Go to Top of Page

cjt079

3 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  06:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit cjt079's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carp_26

Thomas has not removed Hybrids from their site, they're listed under the "Earth Friendly" tab on the main page. I did notice a few weeks ago that the IC hybrid is no longer listed on the IC bus page. Not sure what's going on with the IC plug-in hybrid

I did see the hybrid buses on the Thomas website a few days ago, but if you look today, the hybrid is not listed. See links:
http://thomasbus.com/bus-models/green-buses/ or
http://thomasbus.com/earth-friendly/
Go to Top of Page

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  5:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talked to my local Thomas Dealer yesterday, he has said that the Hybrid is still available. I'm certain the cost of the Hybrid system kept sales from being where Thomas and IC would have liked them. Kentucky operates the largest fleet of Hybrid buses in the country with just over 200 Hybrids in service. Grant dollars helped pay for the hybrid portion of the bus.
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  06:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are a huge waste of money that will never repay themselves. Technology isn't even close.

It infuriates me the money that some states spent on these to barely save anything on fuel. Surely they could have replaced more older buses with non-hybrids and accomplished a much larger net fuel savings and emissions decrease.

Have fun when it's time to replace the batteries!

Edited by - RichBusman on 07/19/2013 06:30:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  7:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree Richard, the fuel savings is just not enough to justify the cost at this point.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  5:36:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just noticed tonight that the eTrans has been removed from TransTech's website as well.
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2013 :  11:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see that the industry weeded out these things. Such ridiculous wastes of cash.

Guess now the flavor of the week instead of "hybrid" will be "propane".

I sure hope operations start tracking their fuel economy more closely, and talk to each other in the industry. There are some obvious differences, and it blows my mind that so many operations don't seem to make informed choices.

Edited by - RichBusman on 07/26/2013 11:49:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  10:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The cost of those replacement batteries will certainly negate any fuel-cost savings, no?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000