Enter Forum: General Interest
 Build date vs. vin code
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  8:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Alright I am curious how this works.....Ive seen several 2010-2011 buses that have build dates of 07-08. If the bus is built in 2008 did it just sit somewhere until 2010 or 2011? I am very curious how this works and I just dont understand how a manufacturer can get by like that. Is it due to getting around emissions and it seems like this is a newer trend. Also if ti did just sit wouldnt that kinda explain why the paint is so sorry because the bus is basically 3 or 4 years old when it was sold? Also I'm curious if that would explain some electrical issues new buses seem to have. I dont recall alot of older buses being built so much earlier than they are titled. Like I said I am curious and please feel free to correct me if anything I have posted is wrong. Thanks

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  06:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't overlook the fact that you could of easily bought a 2010 model year bus before mid year 2009.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  08:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it must be emissions related, although I haven't seen this myself. The paint thing is just because they are cheap. We'd of been a lot better off if every district/ contractor owned and didn't lease their units. They would pay a little better attention to the quality of these things and not just think they are going to be rid of them in 5 years. Therefore, the companies that are not putting out a quality unit would either shape up or go out of business!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  11:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The EPA mandates only apply to when the engine and/or buses were actually fabricated, model year has nothing to do with that.

Keep in mind that several states have age limits on school buses that do go by model year...keeping the model year ahead of the actual year it was build = longer service life. I don't agree with it, but my opinion doesn't matter.

My last new bus was titled as a 2014 and build in October of 2012. I have two buses sitting in Georgia right now, just completed...can't wait to see if they are 14's or 15's!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  11:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

The EPA mandates only apply to when the engine and/or buses were actually fabricated, model year has nothing to do with that.

Keep in mind that several states have age limits on school buses that do go by model year...keeping the model year ahead of the actual year it was build = longer service life. I don't agree with it, but my opinion doesn't matter.

My last new bus was titled as a 2014 and build in October of 2012. I have two buses sitting in Georgia right now, just completed...can't wait to see if they are 14's or 15's!

Funny! I have noticed that the build date and titled date are getting farther apart. What you say makes sense.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  2:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have the same situation here with our Thomases. We got two 2008 model year EFs delivered in September 2007, then we got two more in December that were 2009s. I'm not sure if all or any of them are stock units or built to spec. I do know that, according to drivers I've talked to, one of the 2008s lacks a tilting steering column but the others have it. Otherwise they seem identical.

Edited by - 08 Thomas EF on 07/12/2013 2:34:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  8:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have seen a 2011 IC and inside it showed it was built in 2008. Im just wondering what did the bus do for those 3 years?? LOL.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  06:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C.HARDY

I have seen a 2011 IC and inside it showed it was built in 2008. Im just wondering what did the bus do for those 3 years?? LOL.

I'm sure it was kept very busy not existing!!! hahaha
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  7:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I work on a bus for a local school that was originally a leased bus out of Illonois. It is a 72 passenger GMC 366 gas AT disc brakes and yes it was bought off lease at 5 years old with around 60k miles. It is speced about as cheap as they come. Its a 72 passenger with a gross weight of 25500. Super light duty running gear. It eats ups brake pads. Same specs as one of my 48 passenger buses. I hera you loud and clear on leased units...especially after the lease is up
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

I think it must be emissions related, although I haven't seen this myself. The paint thing is just because they are cheap. We'd of been a lot better off if every district/ contractor owned and didn't lease their units. They would pay a little better attention to the quality of these things and not just think they are going to be rid of them in 5 years. Therefore, the companies that are not putting out a quality unit would either shape up or go out of business!

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  10:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the invoices today...they are titles as 2014. Hahaha!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  11:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, what month do the car companies start calling them the next year model? I think it's about August isn't it?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  03:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping for 2015 since I got a 14 in 12
Go to Top of Page

WayneCustom

30 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  2:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit WayneCustom's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the transit/coach bus industry there is a gentleman's agreement that the cutoff for the new model year is August 15 (which, ironically, is today) - that is, today is the last day that 2013 buses are being made, and as of tomorrow everything will be 2014 production. Among Blue Bird, IC, and Thomas, which produce all their chassis in house, I believe there is a similar agreement, but the change date is much earlier. I generally expect to see buses change to the new model year in late September or early October, two years ahead of the actual calendar year. So that means right around Halloween 2013 you'll start seeing 2015 buses (with an F in the 10th digit of the VIN) from Blue Bird, Thomas and IC. I went back and checked my records and my first sighting of a 2014 bus from the Big 3 was on October 17 of last year. (It was an IC CE delivered to Lakewood Schools in NJ, who are testing the waters with starting up their own fleet again and are being consulted in that quest by the former transportation director of Toms River Schools.)

For mini buses built on GM and Ford chassis it doesn't quite work that way because the chassis are made on a more real-time schedule. About now we're starting to see mini buses on 2013 model year chassis creep into fleets. Remember, those chassis could be sitting around Trans Tech or Starcraft or Girardin or Collins for months before getting a body slapped on them.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  3:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ic has just started building 2015 buses.
Ive said a hundred times, the only way to know what year a vehicle is is to look at the 10th digit of the VIN. Looking at the built date wont tell you anything.
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  5:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 78fordwayne

Ic has just started building 2015 buses.
Ive said a hundred times, the only way to know what year a vehicle is is to look at the 10th digit of the VIN. Looking at the built date wont tell you anything.

You're exactly right. Only the 10th digit of the VIN means something in regards to model year. Some people even go as far as to say that a bus spec was only available in a certain year, so that bus has to be a particular year.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2013 :  8:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well you guys cleared up my question. I didnt realize that could get the bus in 2013 titled as a 14 or 15. I thought they were sitting somewhere...lol.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000