New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  07:33:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've got 5 2006 Birds with the C7 engines. Several of them knock like a woodpecker on Ritalin when you put your foot into it. We sent one in for diagnostics and repair at our local Kenworth dealer, and they ended up replacing a couple of injectors. We'd like to diag and repair the other ones, but I know you have to enter flow codes off the new injectors into the ECM, so...

What software do I need? How much does it cost up front/per year?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  09:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Cat ET but our tech guy wants to replace my computer and we will have to get new software if we do that. They said things have changed since I got this one 5 years ago. Instead of buy it once for 3k you have it to use, buy have to buy it and then pay a thousand bucks a year. I have about 10 cat engines but I am not going to recommend to the school that we buy it. I too am looking for an alternative to this myself.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  2:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1K? Wow! I thought Cummins was pushing it with the InSite subscription cost. I'll farm out my diag/repair work at that rate. Let me know if you (or anyone else out there?) finds another option.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  04:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, at this point that's what I'm going to do. I will still be looking though.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bbassett

7 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  07:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbassett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At a shop I used to work at we had an older ProLink with the Cat cartidge and I could program injector codes for replace meant injectors or more HP. I think Snap-On carries them now put its called something else. The one we used had cartidges you could change per engine, ABS or transmission.
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  03:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have the Cat ET and have only had to re-up it once in 2011 $300 and change. Cat will move it once at no charge if your computer crashes or you get a new one (at least thats what they told us). They did a update flash to the ECM and ET wouldn't read some of the new codes thats how we found out about the re-up, we don't pay any yearly fee.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  07:25:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been burned one time too many on scan tools. If you do your own work it's worth investing in the OEM basic package at least. Or get friends at the dealer.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  11:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that kind of like "I've got friends in low places"? LOL

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  06:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Is that kind of like "I've got friends in low places"? LOL

I have a Tech2 here, buddies have Insite, CATet. Works out here in smallzville.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

offroadwolf1

33 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  5:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought the CAT ET software, the price has dropped a lot since I got my last quote. It was just over a thousand bucks. But the CAT software also requires an interface device to connect the computer to the vehicle. I bought a NexIQ adapter since all the other software programs can also use this device. It does not have all the troubleshooting manuals in the software, CAT does it through their SIS website and you pay out the nose for it, just by a manual for your engine if you need it. I have a Pro-link with a CAT card for asert engines, however it does not read the C-7 cats, so its useless in the school bus world. I dont beleive a snap op or Tech 2 scanner will read the engine and allow you to reprogram each injector when you replace it. The CAT ET software if worth its weight in gold for CAT engines.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  09:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by offroadwolf1

I just bought the CAT ET software, the price has dropped a lot since I got my last quote. It was just over a thousand bucks.

I got all excited and called my Cat dealer - their current price is $2K upfront with $1.5K yearly renewals. Guess I'll keep looking...

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  09:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by partsman_ba

quote:
Originally posted by offroadwolf1

I just bought the CAT ET software, the price has dropped a lot since I got my last quote. It was just over a thousand bucks.

I got all excited and called my Cat dealer - their current price is $2K upfront with $1.5K yearly renewals. Guess I'll keep looking...

I'll come to your shop $50 an hour plus $1.00 a mile for travel.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000