Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  08:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked my 2...so far so good.

Folks, make sure you are reporting this at www.nhtsa.gov CYA, always CYA.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  12:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just sent an email to NHTSA. Might be interesting.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  08:16:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
https://dps.mn.gov/DIVISIONS/OTS/SCHOOL-BUS-SAFETY/Pages/default.aspx This was on Minnesota Deptment of public saftey page, not Federal....but read last paragragh pertaining to why school buses don't have seat belts...

I am not diagreeing in any way with thread... I dislike the way IC's crossmembers break, have had my share of issues here too..! Just thought this state info was related to thread..

Edited by - slippert on 06/14/2016 08:20:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  08:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The chassis of the school bus is designed to separate from the body of the bus in a crash to slow down and spread the crash forces over the entire body of the bus.

I assume that the above is what you are referring to. I would imagine that the body is designed to separate at a certain factor. The damaged mounts will "sacrifice" that intended factor.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  10:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's expected for body and chassis to come apart if a train hits the bus. Reference Fox River Grove Illinois 1995, Buffalo Montana 1998, Tennga Georgia 2000.

A bus driving down the road should not be expected to have these mounting failures occurring. Report them, folks....otherwise likely nothing will change.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  05:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had a 2003 Blue bird get hit in side of body by rear wheels by a Ford Expedition... a few years ago, tore every frame clip off body in that area all the way to rear of bus.... so IDK exactly how much force it takes to completely dislodge body from frame, probably some engineers that have it figured out on paper ...I sent an e mail to NTSB back in 2006-7? about IC'S crossmembers, about only thing I see they have done is use a wider pad under mounting crossmembers and seem less apt to have J-bolts and u-bolts by rear axle on my buses(which was the problem area for me)...

I agree never hurts to complain to the right agency, enough complaints and they will/should investigate... wheels of industry turn slowly when change is needed, unless forced to by a higher power, although that doesn't always mean they get correct change the first time they try...lol

Edited by - slippert on 06/17/2016 05:46:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  08:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, here's an update. I sent an email to the NHTSA and they basically said I need to take it up with my state agency. I called the inspector that comes around for the state and he came out and took some pictures. I ask if he'd ever seen anything like this and he said no. He also said he had never really looked at that part. In our discussion he said "boy, there are a lot of these out there. If this is a problem, we have a problem!" lol, I thought that was a profound statement.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  08:38:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since when is it only a state agency matter???? I need to find Sonny's email...if he's even still working...he might be retired by now. Haven't seen him on here for ages.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  08:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sonny.murianka@dot.gov Try him. He always seemed to care about these sorts of things.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  10:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the statement:

Based on your request, you may wish to contact your State Highway Dept http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/webstate.htm or the Division Office of the Federal Highway Administration. To find the FHWA field office near you, go to http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/field.html.

Looks like to me they want to kick it back to the state. Otherwise, I would have thought they would say something like "that's not my department but let me direct you here for help". lol
I have it out there with my state inspector so I think it will get attention. He didn't say it in so many words but I know him well enough to know that he will at least be looking at other IC buses to see if they are doing the same thing. To tell you the truth, this scares me. To think there is a potential for every IC bus out there to have this problem is well.... a real problem.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  12:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sonny retired. I'll look and see if I can find his replacement.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  1:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go:

Nate.Seymour@dot.gov

Safety defect investigator,
Medium and heavy duty vehicle division,
NHTSA
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  1:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I'll contact him next week. Thanks!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000