Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 International power steering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  2:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just curious how much success you guys have had getting rid of the "growling" of power steering pumps on Internationals. I have a few that starting to get worse and I have chenged fluid and filters which helps a little but not totally. Is it the pump and does it really harm anything? I hate to start dumping several hundreds of dollars on pumps if that doesnt cure it or if its not harmful like it is. Thanks a bunch.

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  3:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 3 REs with the Maxxforce DT. all growl pretty bad we complained about 1 and they replaced the pump under warranty. they all growled and surged from the very start of putting them into service
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  08:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't had an issues with my Internationals, but I have with Fords. Changing the Manufacturer of fluid did wonders for my old Fords and noisy P/S pumps.
Go to Top of Page

05ICCE

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  12:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit 05ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have four international chassis with different engines. We have not had any PS issues or noise. The only growler i had is on my personal ford pick up / intl 7.3. I got some info from a ford tech years ago, it involved removing and drilling a passage larger and a fluid change and the problem was solved. This also solved the micro second loss of steering when braking at tight turns like pulling into my driveway. Remember the steering on the ford diesel truck is powered by the brake booster.

Mr. Scott, "because he drives a COOL BUS"

Edited by - 05ICCE on 06/08/2013 1:10:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  6:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah my steering is fine no issues at all just really noisey....Might just let it ride for now

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  4:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well it seems a lot of trucks and buses have this issue and no one seems to know how to fix it. I talked to several people thta replaced pumps, steering boxes, king pins etc. I had a guy tell me today to flush the system and re-fill with 15w40. Have ant of you guys tried this or heard of it being done....? That oil seems a little thick to me

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000