New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  07:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to IH for finally putting out an iKnow bulletin after at least 4 years of us experiencing this problem. Look up ik1200908 to see for yourselves. Same old crap! The bulletin puts most of the work on the customer in the worksheet.
#1 - Confirm oil used is API CJ-4 or CI-4 Duh! already done
#2 - Check last three oil change intervals to see if they are according to operator's manual. Duh! already done - they are at 2,000 - 4,000 miles because of the horrible fuel dilution.
#3 - Confirm ash removal maintenance - air blast with FSX Machine - already done - purchased exchange DPF from IH which was crap and had to be both air blasted and cooked with FSX machine to bring into spec. All of my 07 MFDT's have already been done by the FSX machine and the issues continue!
#4 - Update the ECM calibration - already done, I have had to take each of these buses back to the dealership 6 times for reprogramming!
#5 - Perform oil analysis - already done - 20% fuel in oil!!!
#6 - Gives the oil number IH accepts - I don't care...4 inches overfull is ridiculous! IH spec is 10 Viscosity centistokes. Wow, thanks for that!
#7 - After changing the oil, operate the vehicle for 1/3 of the oil change interval and obtain a second oil sample - Duh...you can test it all you want but it's still diluted. I am happy to get 1/3 of the oil change interval on these POS.
#8 - Regives the 10cSt standard that IH accepts - I still don't give a crap what the standard is...4 inches over full and crop dusting the highway isn't acceptable!
#9 - Bring the vehicle with all this data (us doing all the work) to a Navistar dealership for continued diagnostics....(or to restate it...so it can sit there at the dealership going back and forth to tech central for several weeks to wind up fixing nothing!)
#10 - Dealership instructions - #1 Complete full performance Diagnostics Sheet. #2 - Repair engine per Performance Diagnostic Sheet findings. 3. Release vehicle into service and monitor future oil samples. This is total bull! This assumes that what is causing the problem will be picked up by their sheet! I just sent a bus into the dealership for this and it passed every test. What it really means is that if there is something which their diagnostic sheet finds wrong, they will fix that and return the bus to you ASSUMING that it fixed the oil building problem. From 4 years experience, THIS DOES NOT WORK! You had better fix whatever is causing the code before you send it to the dealer because having a code or flunking a test will allow tech central to default to fixing that and have an excuse for only doing the minimum.

The only other thing remotely useful is the text on the first page that says that engine misfire under certain conditions that goes undetected over a long period can cause the problem. This may be true but....mine pass the injection tests just fine. Give me something I can use people!!!

Congratulations to IH Corp for a total waste of time! This bulletin is an embarrassment! Putting all the burden on the customer for follow through and documentation and then not doing anything toward fixing the problem besides tha same crap that hasn't fixed it for 4 years!

Would like to continue but I have to get off here to take a 2010 MFDT back to the dealer for the third time for Aftertreatment faults while I am walking past a 2010 MFDT in the fuel line that idles like it is cammed up and nobody can figure out what is causing it! Somebody tell me why it was that half of my fleet is IC again?

Edited by - Bassman on 05/24/2013 07:14:45 AM

Schoolbus56

United States
128 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must be lucky. The one bus I had with this issue was resolved rather quickly.. I wonder why your dealer is giving you a run around?

wow.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  09:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both dealers I have work hard for me. The problem is, the issues keeps returning. Ours are between 150,000 and 200,000 miles.
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  11:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gee you must be the only one like me having these problems....
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  11:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No I'm the only one!! lmao...
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  04:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I had it bad with all these MAXXJUNK 7 engines. O wait, I do.

Bruce

Edited by - sambrutay on 06/04/2013 04:50:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000