Special-Needs Transportation
 Enter Forum: Special-Needs Transportation
 additional adaptable step for school bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tiggerkm20

2 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2013 :  6:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit tiggerkm20's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there an adaptable step that can be added to a regular yellow school bus to accommodate exceptionally small/short children? My daughter is exceptionally small for her age and has balance issues. The regular school bus is very high for her to step up to. She was transported to school in a van in Kindergarten, but this is no longer the Least Restrictive Environment and we wish her to be transported in the yellow school bus for first grade. I was told there may be a special adaptable step that may be added (or perhaps a certain bus can be used which already has this adaptable step) so that she can step onto the school bus without difficulty. Please let me know if this is a possibility and if this adaptation exists. A link with information and perhaps the name of the adaptable equipment would be helpful. I'd like to share this with our current bus company that our school uses. Thank you.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  09:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know of any "add on" equipment for the steps. What you are trying to achieve will greatly depend on your state's laws pertaining to school buses. My state, Illinois, (to my knowledge) will not allow such a devise. The laws are very restrictive on every aspect of a school bus (rightly so). Your bus company should be able to do a quick inquiry through the state department that handles school buses to see if such a devise has been used in the past. Also different brands of buses have the bottom step at different levels (although they don't vary by much). This is just because of the difference in construction between the brands. Lastly, you might post this same question on the mechanic's forum because the guys (and gals) on there might have seen one or can steer you in the right direction. Hope this helps.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  07:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have added a camper step under the fist step. The first step was so high the kids were having a hard time getting onto the first step. You would be okay at the curb but if there wasn't a curb it was a big step. It had a motor that extended and retracted the step.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000