Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 1973 C/60 School Bus - How To Start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

deanchesnut

2 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  7:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit deanchesnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How do i start the 1973 school bus i just bought at auction put new batteries in it and new ignition key swith. I turn the key and push the button and the engine turns over and it will not start -

I have been told there is a process to starting a school bus (more complicated) to make sure kids do not start it and drive off.

Something like the door has to be shut, toggle switch thrown, and such

Anyone have input on this

dean@equus-re.com

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  03:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not likely any safety features on that old of bus. What engine is it Ford 330, 351, International 345, Chevy, GMC 350. Need fire, fuel and air. That old of a bus probably has points in the distributer that need to be adjusted and set. Check the coil to see that fire is getting to the distributer. Engine has to be timed and dwell set. Check to see that carb is getting fuel.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  03:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Most school bus interlocks only stop engine from turning over. what do you have gas or diesel engine?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  05:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trailboss, I'm with you. I'll bet a 1973 has a gas engine and he's not getting fire. I'd say the points need brushed up and maybe the contacts inside the distributor need cleaned. Squirt a little gas in the carb and away it goes.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  08:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look in carburetor & and see if accelerator pump is spraying gas. Ethanol gas tends to stick the float needle & seat when vehicles sit for an extended time.

It will usually release by tapping the carburetor with a hammer.
Dwight

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000