08 ce 200 a/c failure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mark g

16 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  4:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello
we have an 2008 ce 200(vt365) with factory a/c. one or two of the a/c compressors locked up today, frying the belt. this bus has 27k miles and 950hrs. we bought it new for our church-school. anybody have any advice about this premature failure? thanks for any help. mark.

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  08:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that first off you need to figure out exactly what failed. "One or two compressors" sounds like we are in the preliminary stages of of fixing this bus.

I just had an idler pulley bearing fail on one of these the other day, and it, too, shredded the belt. Make sure it is the compressor.

Beyond that, your signature says you live in Texas. I'm in Arizona where our a/c compressors run pretty much year round. Are your conditions like that too?
5 years is still a bit short, but I'm not sure I'd jump on it being all that premature for an a/c compressor.

:)
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  11:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What eddo said sounds good to me. I guess you have a pretty close eye on this unit? Wondering if someone might have tried to service it w/o you knowing. As eddo said, try the simplest things first. I am notorious for trying the hard things first, lol. Good luck

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mark g

16 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  8:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the reply guys
we had some problem with the a/c not cooling during warranty. i was not driving then. selling dealer could find nothing wrong according to records we have. it has been working fine. on monday during a trip i could smell something burning but by then, boom, the belt went. managed to get off the road and access the damage. pulled the remains out, put the intercooler hose back on, wich had been knocked off, limped to the parts store in the next town for a clamp, and we were on our way. it was a cool day in the low 70's , so a/c was not needed. later checked the pulleys, all seemed free, idler's seemed ok too. both compressors still turn but have a lot of resistance. i will investigate more later and post back. is the ic dealer the only place to get the a/c serp belt? where are the inline filters for the a/c system? if needed i can get the rest of the a/c parts from other sources. thanks. mark

hutto,tx

Edited by - mark g on 05/08/2013 05:02:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  3:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the world of bus a/c!! Factory a/c?? My guess is its a Bus Air system since its in Texas and a IH. You said both compressors turned with resistance, a little is normal. What about both compressor pulley's? Do they turn freely? High head pressure and loose belt may have been the cause. Just spouting out my thoughts here. If anything on the compressor locked up normally the entire clutch turns from black paint to rusty brown color due to extreme heat.

I have only lost one compressor (due to faulty pop off) and numerous idler pulleys on my two Bus Air equipted units. My biggest issue is wiring to compressors and high/low pressure switches breaking at various connections. I keep a small roll of wire and a few wire nuts in both for motel parking lot emergency repairs.

Man I love my a/c equipted buses!!

Wish ya luck!!!
Go to Top of Page

mark g

16 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  2:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to all
turns out after further investigation one of the bolts for the tensioner had sheared at the water pump housing allowing the belt to slip , get hot and break. this tension system looks to be a one of type of deal. it is a 3rd belt that runs only the 2 compressors, mounted on the outside of the alternator belt on the passenger side of the engine. tensioner itself consists of a flat piece of metal that is fixed on both ends, ribed pulley on one end, smooth on the other. nothing moves with this set up. there is adjustment between the compressors. dealer said bus a/c was installed at the dealer in houston, by a local contractor. no part numbers were available.
i found a belt the right length, i am in the process of extracting the bolt from the water pump housing , should have everything back together soon. thanks for all reply's. we are saving our money for the egr cooler problems i know we will soon have.

hutto,tx

Edited by - mark g on 05/09/2013 5:51:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  07:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark g

thanks for all reply's. we are saving our money for the egr cooler problems i know we will soon have.

If it makes you feel any better, we have 2 of these engines, one 45,000 miles and the other with 187,000 miles and we have never replaced an EGR cooler or had the rocker covers off.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

mark g

16 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  6:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

quote:
Originally posted by mark g

thanks for all reply's. we are saving our money for the egr cooler problems i know we will soon have.

If it makes you feel any better, we have 2 of these engines, one 45,000 miles and the other with 187,000 miles and we have never replaced an EGR cooler or had the rocker covers off.

thanks, that makes me feel better. i have seen plenty of 6.0 powerstrokes in the ford trucks from 03-07 that were pure junk. i know aftermarket programmers had a lot to do with their bad rep. also having to raise the cab off the truck to work on it didnt help either. in our bus, with 215 hp maybe we can make it last a little while longer. a/c is working great, thanks. mark

hutto,tx
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  10:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VT365 survival tips;
Do not tolerate any coolant leaks, low coolant levels can create air pockets in system and stress the EGR cooler.
Use International approved cooling system filling practices to help eliminate air pockets.
Stay ahead of the oil changes and use quality filters, I prefer the 1840752C91 oem filter that has the felt ring around the large opening and displays the patent numbers.

Edited by - Fastback on 05/13/2013 10:08:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

mark g

16 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  8:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fastback
im using wix filters wich i think are good. i have not had to break into the cooling system yet. i watch the level in the overflow closely. im running shell 15-40. non-synthetic. for some reason selling dealer suggested we use non-synthetic oil. i use amsoil in my personel vehicles, and would in this if not for there suggestion. what say you? thanks. mark

hutto,tx
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  05:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that unlike a spin on filter where the manufacturer is in complete control of the entire filter assembly, the VT365 uses a replacement element in a housing. Some manufacturers avoid patent enfringement by supplying elements with differances in design, adapters or attached caps.
We use 5W-40 synthetic in all our diesels but we operate where it gets below zero F.
The intime oil changes are very important as roughly 20 % (4 quarts)of the lube oil in a VT365 never drains out during a properly done oil and filter change. Just one extended oil drain interval can start the ball rolling on injector wear.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000