New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  2:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As some of you know we have a BB with the 8.1 propane engine. I told all of you that I would keep you up to date on any problems I have with the engine or fuel system. The driver called in last week and said the engine died on him and then restarted. Of course it is hard to diag. when it is operating properly. So I told him to run it till it quits.

Well, it quit this morning. Crank no start. It was not getting fuel up to the engine. After some testing I found that the solenoid valve was not opening the valve on the tank. I like to have never got the valve off the core because it is up in behind an inspection plate and water has been sitting in there and rusting everything in site. I have a solenoid on order.

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  6:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://newyorkbussales.com/pdfs/10-0423-3PP_propane_solenoid_corroded.pdf

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  8:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep an eye out on the manual safety valves too. If not properly lubricated they will fall off when you try to close them and the tank drains into your shop. This happened at a shop in my area recently, surprise surprise!

Edited by - RichBusman on 04/29/2013 8:20:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2013 :  09:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Great information from NY Bus! I will keep the manual shut off issue in mind, RichBusman! I was actually wondering if the manual valve could turn into an issue. BTW, I don't work on the fuel systems inside my shop, I am not set up to do so. It's not that big of a deal to work on it outside. Even if I had a whole fleet full of them I don't think I would mind it. I just haven't had that much of an issue with it. This is the first thing that has put if out of service for any amount of time. The only reason that it didn't get fixed the day of is because the part had to come out of BBs warehouse.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  06:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Installed the solenoid & cleaned everything up on Friday. Driver took it out on the route that afternoon and all is well!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  4:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you use the NYBS tip to help prolong the life of the solenoid?

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  2:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually just used the fluid film liberally & left the bottom thumb screw out to keep the moisture drained out. Someone else was talking about the Fluid Film product on here a few weeks ago and I found it at our local John Deere dealer.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  7:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bwest please contact me via email when you have a free minute. I have some questions about your propane unit.
skirley2atyahooooooo.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000