05 DT-466EGR popping sound from intake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  10:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
had a 05 DT-466 come in off the road with a noticeable popping sound coming from the intake that can be heard while going down the road. Bus does not appear to have a loss of power and there are no DTC's. Removed the air supply hose to the air compressor to rule it out. Done all the KOER running tests and injector disable with no luck as to the source. Wondering if anyone out there has had a similar issue with the SAME engine. It definitely sounds like a mechanical issue rather than an electrical/electronic issue. suggestions....

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  03:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like its time to pull the rocker cover and have a looksie

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  04:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you can hear it in the little side vents on the hood like a thumping sound could be a bad cam had one do that last yr.
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  08:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dealer is telling us it's the cam as well. Hope to get time today to pull the valve cover off and take a look. We will take it to the dealer if that,s the case. We don't have the time to do it in house. IC's drop like flies at times and had a rash of issues with them lately..

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  5:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree that it's time to pull the valve cover and check the valve lash and the valve lift. If all are within spec, you should have the injectors tested.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2013 :  6:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What did you find was the cause of this issue. Just curious.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2013 :  11:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got word back today from International Truck Repair Shop (we sent it out). They put in a new cam and followers. They did not save the old parts (go figure). I did pull the valve cover off before it was sent out and found #3 exhaust valve and massive valve lash so we figured it to be the cam. We had it towed to the dealer and they did the repairs. Should get the bus back tomorrow and we will see how it runs. Hope this don't happen to the other 22 DT-466's in our fleet.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  5:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. I've been working on DT466s since 1977 and have never seen a camshaft failure. Dozens of trucks and buses.

Engine overspeed is a common cause of cam failure. Had a cam failure in a Mack years ago where the engine was forced to go over 3K rpm. Several bent pushrods and shattered lifter faces due to the pistons hitting the valves. Does this bus have a standard transmission?

Edited by - IBTMech on 05/17/2013 6:39:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  04:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lost another cam yesterday 07 dt466 with 85k on it
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  5:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at IK1200126.
Go to Top of Page

05ICCE

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  6:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit 05ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had the same sound from our 05 3 years ago. Dealer replaced cam and related parts at their expense. We picked it up the day before from having a cracked timing cover and head gasket done. Must have been a mechanics issue.

Mr. Scott, "because he drives a COOL BUS"

Edited by - 05ICCE on 05/26/2013 6:26:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  03:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've also worked on and around a lot of DT466's since thier inception and don't recall ever seeing a cam go flat. On the other hand, I have seen many valve stem tips and rocker rub pads start to disintegrate which can create huge amounts of clearance. If you catch it early you can install an automotive lash cap and will usually need a new rocker. If not, it's time to R&R the head. All of these engines should have regular valve adjustments.

Edited by - Crown on 05/28/2013 03:58:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  5:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had a few rocker rub pads come apart too. Fairly easy fix tho. The only cam issue I can recall, and it was minor, was in a pre-roller-cam follower DT466. I replaced the lifter and ran it for several years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 06/02/2013 5:39:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

wrench slinger

38 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  07:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just done one like it, popping noise, pulled the V/C number 4 rocker arm out of adjustment follower broken, lifter turn sideways ruined cam, had to pull pan to get lifter out, turned out to be alot of work. good experiance. we don't send anything out and also do our own international warrenty work
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000