New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  07:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

Been picking away at my old International S-Series (7.3) truck this weekend. She has a motor out of one of our old buses, and I have a question about a sensor located in the front driver's side of the head.

What is it?

Ever since a buddy of mine swapped the motor, i've had the oil pressure/coolant lamp lit up on my dash, and it stays on constantly. They had thrown a different sensor onto the motor in the place of the above image, with 3 prongs (spade terminals) coming out of it. My original pigtail (like the one pictured) is hanging above it by a zip-tie unused. My old 7.3 had the same sensor as the picture above, but my old motor is gone now. I can't get the sensor out of it.

I would like to pick up the proper sensor for the motor but I don't know what to ask for at the parts counter!

Thanks guys!

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  8:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boy thats some old stuff there. As I recall with my fuzzy memory that would be the overheat switch. Not really needed if you watch your guages but who does that? The one with the other plug is for the temperature guage.
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  07:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  07:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fuzzy memory here also but there had to be an on/off temperature sensor somewhere that operated the fast idle solenoid on the injection pump...

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  12:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Temp Sending Unit, but not sure why it's on the front drivers side head. Mine are all on the Pass/rear of the engine. ??? Does this engine have one there? Maybe it was moved for easier access?
pt# 479758C1

The one for the Fast idle solenoid/glow plugs is just to the left of the glow plug controller, on top of the engine, and should have 2 prongs sticking out of it.
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  11:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure that the wire is not pinched under the valve cover. Or possibly rubbed thru somewhere along the way. Check to make sure it is not making a ground along the way and unplug the sensor what happens then ?
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  9:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh yeh thats right , one was for the injection pump soleniod , one was just for the light and one ran the gage. The one for the gage was on the right rear of the head, the one for the light was the left front head and wasnt the pump switch on the intake manifold in the rear? Of course anything can happen in 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  1:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I have a temperature sending sensor on the back passenger side of the engine. I'm thinking the sensor above must be for the light on the dash, because it's lit up all the time (on the cluster). My temperature gauge functions correctly. The pig tail hanging above it has a good snap of power coming out of it all the time it seems. Is this normal? It looks exactly like the connector in the picture.

If so, I need to use the same sensor (pictured above) with a stud terminal on it.

Anybody have a part number for the Temperature dash light switch?

Thanks for all the help!

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page

roger boatwright

2 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  2:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit roger boatwright's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OUR 7.3 engines has a sensor in the left front head,that is tied in to the oil pressure circuit that cut the light on in the dash if one side senses a failure.The part # for the sensor is 1661837C1,it has a terminal that slides in the sensor then locks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000