Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Speedo not working
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marck

8 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2013 :  5:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2000 Int'l 3800 school bus with a 444 and a new Allison 545.
Immediately after the trans change, the speedo is not working.(although it does do its full scale self test when key first on)
I've changed the speed sensor on the output shaft, triple checked the connections and swapped out the cluster with a good unit.
What am I missing here ??

Thx Marc

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  04:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you check the gears on the end of the sensor? They are plastic and can break off causing the gauge to not read correctly. Also check the gears inside the tranny housing.

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  04:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure the tranns you put in is setup for the electronic speedometer. I found this info in a search;

"the way that is easy to tell is looking in the drive hole. if the grooves go up and down its mechanical if they go front to back its electric. You will need to pop the rear seal out, pull a large internal lockong snap ring and then pull the bearing out. once the bearing is out (puller he plans on you making, gring the head of some bolts so they will twist into the bearing cage of the roller bearing and attach to a puller)then you will slide out the selective spacer and atlast the speedo drive. if you get the bearing out its a piece of cake."

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  05:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been there, done that, check what the guys above say...we had a bus that needed electronic pick up, but got a gear-driven tailshaft by mistake. That was fun.
Go to Top of Page

Marck

8 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  6:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thx guys, thats exactly what happened. Electronic pickup in the original install but the rebuilder sent a trans with a gear drive setup.
Luckily they're sending a retrofit kit. Not to big of a deal to swap it out.

Thx again,
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  12:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, great info there. I don't think I ever would have thought of that.

:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000